Going Buggy Pumpkin Cake
Creep out Halloween partygoers with this insect-infested cake! Bugs are made with Wilton Ready-To-Use Fondant, and the cake is made with the Wilton Jack-O’-Lantern Cake Pan.
- Easy-Add FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
Brown Icing Color (Combine a small amount of Brown with small amount of Red-Red for light brown shown)Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
Red-Red Icing Color (Combine Brown with Black and a touch of Red-Red for brown shown)Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
Lemon Yellow Icing Color (Combine Golden Yellow with Lemon Yellow for yellow shown)Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
Orange Icing Color (Combine Orange with Red-Red and Lemon Yellow for medium orange shown)Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
Favorite cake recipe or mix
- Easy-Add Moss Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Moss Green Icing Color
Cake serves 12
- Easy-Add Flower Stamen Assortment Add to shopping list Flower Stamen Assortment
- Plastic ruler
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add 13 x 19 in. Cake Board Add to shopping list 13 x 19 in. Cake Board
- Easy-Add Jack-O-Lantern Cake Pan with Flutes Add to shopping list Jack-O-Lantern Cake Pan with Flutes
- Easy-Add 13 in. Round Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 13 in. Round Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Gold Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Gold Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 9 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 9 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add 9 in. Tapered Spatula Add to shopping list 9 in. Tapered Spatula
One day in advance, make all bugs. Cut 16 stamens in half. Color entire stamen with black edible color marker.
For two beetles, tint 1 oz. of fondant brown. Form body into an oval, 1 in. x 5/8 in. x 3/8 in. Slightly flattened one end. With knife tool, make one long line from top of abdomen to tail end. With small vein tool, make several markings on either side of line. For thorax, form a rounded square of fondant into a 1/2 in. x 1/2 in. x 1/4 in. piece. Attach to flattened end of abdomen with thinned fondant adhesive. Take a small piece of fondant to form a slightly rounded head. Attach with fondant adhesive. Form two 1/4 in. mandibles; attach to head with thinned fondant adhesive. Reserve leftover fondant for other bugs. For legs, insert six black-colored stamens into sides.
For two vine borers, tint 1 oz. of fondant dark orange. Form into body, 1 1/4 in long x 1/4 in. wide. Roll into a tapered log. Mark segments every 1/4 in. with knife tool. Mark two rows of dots on either side of center with black edible color marker. For head, form brown fondant into a ball, 1/4 in. dia. Attach to body with thinned fondant adhesive. For wings, roll a ball of brown fondant, 3/8 in. dia., into a teardrop log. Flatten with fingers until it’s 1 1/4 in. long x 3/8 in. at its widest end. Trim narrow end straight. Make marking in wing with shell tool. Repeat for other wing. Attach head, wings and body with thinned fondant adhesive. Reserve leftover fondant for other bugs. For antenna, insert black-colored stamens into head.
For two cucumber beetles, tint 1 oz. fondant yellow. Blend 1/4 oz. fondant light orange by mixing equal parts of dark orange and yellow fondant. Mold 1/2 oz. of yellow fondant into log, 3/4 in. x 3/8 in. Draw stripes with black edible color marker. Make lines in body using small veining tool. For head, form a 3/8 in. dia. ball of light orange fondant. Attach to body with fondant adhesive. Color a circle, 1/4 in. dia., on front of head with black edible color marker. For legs and antenna, insert black-colored stamens into sides and head.
For three pickleworms, using 1/4 oz. yellow fondant, roll log. Roll into a tapered log. Mark segments 1/4 in. apart with knife tool. Draw dots along body with black edible color marker. For head, use a small amount of dark orange fondant and form ball, 1/8 in. dia. Attach to body with thinned fondant adhesive. Curve worm in various positions.
For 10+ maggots, tint 1 1/2 oz. fondant light brown. Roll log and then taper, making one end more rounded. Mark segment lines 1/8 in. apart with knife tool. Curve into various positions.
Dry all bugs on cornstarch-covered board.
Bake and cool cake according to pan directions. Place on a foil-wrapped cake circle.
Prepare buttercream icing. Tint portions orange, gray, black and moss green.
Ice inside of eyes, nose and mouth with tapered spatula and black icing.
Roughly ice top and sides of cake with spatula and orange icing. Randomly add gray icing on top and sides of cake. Ice smooth, blending colors on top and sides. Using spatula, make curves for pumpkin ribs with edge of spatula. Ice inside eyes, nose and mouth.
Ice stem with moss green icing and edge of spatula to make ridges.