Gift Pan Lemon Coconut Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 + 1/3 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1 (3 ounce) pkg lemon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon flavoring
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 cup coconut flaked (optional)
- Easy-Add Bake Easy™ Non-Stick Spray Add to shopping list Bake Easy™ Non-Stick Spray
Cake serves 10-12.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray pan with vegetable pan spray.
In large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, gelatin and baking powder. Add combined milk, oil and lemon flavor to flour mixture; mix well.
Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and coconut. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, beating in remaining 1/3 cup sugar.
Fold egg whites into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan*.
Bake 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back lightly when touched. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes; turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.
* If desired, before adding batter to prepared pan, stir icing color into 3/4 cup of the batter. Pour colored batter into bow and ribbon area of the pan. Bake as described above.
* The bake cake can also be painted. Combine Wilton icing color with Wilton clear vanilla and paint the cooled baked cake as desired.