Giant Ornament Cake
Bring the cheerful style of a traditional Christmas tree ornaments to your holiday table as well as on your tree! This giant ornament cake is iced in buttercream and decked with fondant cut-out trees and trim.
- Easy-Add Christmas Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Christmas Red Icing Color
Red-Red Icing Color (Combine Christmas Red with Red-Red for red shade shown)Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list White Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
Favorite cake recipe or mix
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Plastic ruler
- Easy-Add Sports Ball Pan Add to shopping list Sports Ball Pan
- Easy-Add 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid Add to shopping list 10 in. x 16 in. Non-Stick Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add 9 in. Angled Spatula Add to shopping list 9 in. Angled Spatula
- Easy-Add Baroque Fondant & Gum Paste Mold Add to shopping list Baroque Fondant & Gum Paste Mold
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- 3 Pc. Christmas Tree Cutter Set (flat-sided cutter used)Easy-Add 3 Pc. Christmas Tree Cutter Set Add to shopping list 3 Pc. Christmas Tree Cutter Set
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 10 Add to shopping list Tip: 10
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Non-Stick Parchment Paper Add to shopping list Non-Stick Parchment Paper
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
Make hook. In advance tint 1/8 oz. fondant red. Mix in a pinch of Gum-Tex. Roll into a log 4 1/2 in. long x 1/4 in. dia. Form into hook, place on parchment paper-covered cake board and let dry 24 hours.
Make ornament. Bake cake in sports ball pan. Cool completely.
Prepare buttercream icing. Tint red and light green. Position and assemble cake halves on foil-wrapped cake board. Use spatula and red icing to ice cake smooth. Pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch.
Make trim. For trim, use baroque mold and 2 oz. white fondant to mold trim. Attach with damp brush to cover middle seam of cake.
For trees, tint 4 oz. fondant green. Roll out 3/16 in. thick, use flat-sided tree cutter and cut out 14 trees. Attach to cake with damp brush. Use tip 3 and light green icing to pipe tree trunks. Use tip 6 to pipe top three rows of bead branches; tip 10 to pipe bottom two rows of branches.
Make hanger, shape 1 1/2 oz. white fondant into a disc 1 in. x 1 1/2 in. Attach to top of ornament with damp brush. Use a knife and make a small opening at the top 1/4 in. wide and 1/4 in. deep. Insert hook into hole.