Five-Star Sophistication Cake
Formally attired hexagons feature a contrast of delicate white dotted flowers with pinpoints of black on the scrolled cake tops.
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
Cake serve 110.
- Hexagon Pan Set (9, 12, and 15 x 2 inch pan used)Easy-Add Hexagon Pan Set Add to shopping list Hexagon Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 1 Add to shopping list Tip: 1
- Easy-Add Tip: 2 Add to shopping list Tip: 2
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 7 Add to shopping list Tip: 7
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Floral Topper ornament Add to shopping list Floral Topper ornament
- Easy-Add Decorator Favorites Pattern Press Set Add to shopping list Decorator Favorites Pattern Press Set
- Easy-Add Cake Circles Add to shopping list Cake Circles
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 10 in. Hexagon Separator Plates Add to shopping list 10 in. Hexagon Separator Plates
- Easy-Add 7 in. Grecian Pillars Add to shopping list 7 in. Grecian Pillars
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
- Easy-Add Decorating Comb Add to shopping list Decorating Comb
- 2 sheets 1/2 in. thick foam-core or plywood base
- Waxed paper
- Transparent tape
In advance: Make fantasy flowers using royal icing. On waxed paper squares, make 54 star flower frames using tip 3, first piping five 1/2 in. long lines in a star formation, then piping five 1/4 in. long lines in between. On waxed paper, using thinned royal icing and tip 3, pipe fifty-four 3/4 in. diameter dots and five hundred forty 1/4 in. diameter dots for flower petals. Make extras of all to allow for breakage and let dry.
Assemble flowers: Using tip 2 and royal icing, attach one large dot to each star center. Attach 10 small dots to the ends of star lines; let dry. Remove flowers from waxed paper and reinforce backs using tip 2; let dry. Attach 16 flowers to lollipop sticks, using royal icing and tip 3. Set remaining flowers aside.
Mix 2 teaspoons of Gum-Tex into 24 oz. rolled fondant. Roll fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut three each of panels A and B using patterns. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface. Ice panels with thinned royal icing. Immediately comb with large-tooth edge of decorating comb. Trim excess icing from edges and let dry.
Prepare cake base using double-thick foam core or plywood: Using 15 in. hexagon pan as pattern, mark 2 3/4 in. larger than pan on all sides. Cut out boards, tape together and wrap with foil. Cover with rolled fondant (about 80 oz.); smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother.
Prepare 2-layer 9 in. and 12 in. cakes (4 in. high) and 15 in. cake (5 in. high) for Push-In Pillar and Stacked Construction. Prepare for rolled fondant and cover (use 36 oz. for 9 in., 48 oz. for 12 in. and 96 oz. for 15 in.); smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother. Dowel rod 15 in. cake and position on prepared base.
Decorate 15 in. cake. Pipe a tip 5 line of royal icing 2 in. from bottom. Alternately attach panels A and B to cake sides. Roll out 48 oz. of fondant 1/4 in. thick. Using pattern, cut out 6 swags and attach to cake with damp brush, positioning swag peaks at corners, 1/2 in. from top of cake. Using buttercream, outline scallop on bottom edge of swags with tip 5. Add tip 5 beads at swag seams. Pipe tip 1 black dots.
Mark top of 12 in. cake with separator plate for positioning of pillars. Attach 9 in. cake to 10 in. plate. Stack 12 and 15 in. cakes. Decorate 9 and 12 in. cakes: Imprint vine from press set on sides and tops. Outline with tip 5 in buttercream. Add tip 1 black dots. Pipe tip 7 bead bottom borders.
Attach fantasy flowers. On 15 in. cake, use a lollipop stick to make holes in cake top for placement of flowers at corners and at center of each side. Insert flowers on sticks. Using royal icing, attach remaining flowers in sets of three, in swag formation on cake sides, between flowers on sticks.
At reception: Insert pillars in 12 in. cake; assemble cakes. Position topper.
*Note: The top tier is often saved for the first anniversary. The number of servings given does not include the top tier.