Farm Fresh Fun Cake
Our barn birthday cake features four farm friends looking out the windows and saying Hay!” to one and all. Use the Hexagon and Sheet Pans to build the barn and Mini Balls for each animal.
- Easy-Add Christmas Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Christmas Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
Barn cake serves 42; mini cakes each serve 1.
- Easy-Add 11 x 15 in. Sheet Pan Add to shopping list 11 x 15 in. Sheet Pan
- Easy-Add 15 in. Hexagon Pan Add to shopping list 15 in. Hexagon Pan
- Easy-Add Mini Ball Pan Add to shopping list Mini Ball Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 2B Add to shopping list Tip: 2B
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Tip: 47 Add to shopping list Tip: 47
- Easy-Add Tip: 233 Add to shopping list Tip: 233
- Easy-Add Tip: 366 Add to shopping list Tip: 366
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Waxed paper
- 20 x 17 in Foamcore board
In advance: Make chick's wings and hair tuft, horse's ears in royal icing on waxed paper covered board. With tip 16, pipe zigzag wings, 1 1/2 x 3/4 in. wide, and pull-out hair tuft. Pipe tip 366 pull-out ears, 1 1/2 x 3/4 in. wide. Let dry.
Bake and cool 1-layer 15 in. hexagon and sheet cakes and 4 mini ball cakes. Cut hexagon horizontally in half and position on foil-wrapped board against top edge of sheet cake. Ice cakes smooth. Mark door and windows with toothpick: Door is 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 in. wide, side windows are 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 in. wide, top window is 3 3/4 in. square. Ice window areas smooth. Pipe tip 2B band boards. Use smooth side of tip 47 to pipe band trim on windows and door. Edge barn with tip 2B bands. Position 4 mini ball cakes on foil-wrapped boards. For horse: Extend nose 1 in. using fondant; attach to cake with buttercream icing. Ice nose smooth. Pipe tip 3 dot eyes and pupils (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). Outline diamond on nose with tip 3; fill in with tip 16 stars. Cover head with tip 16 stars. Insert ears. Pipe tip 16 pull-out mane, tip 3 outline mouth and pipe-in nostrils (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). For cow: Trim 1/2 in. off top of head. Using tip 4 pipe in nose, pipe dot eyes and pupils (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. Using tip 3, outline eyebrows and mouth, outline and pipe in spot around eye. Pipe tip 12 pull-out ears; pat smooth to indent center. Using tip 16 cover face with stars and pipe pull-out hair. For pig: Pipe tip 3 dot eyes and pupils (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). Cover face with tip 16 stars, overpipe snout for dimension. Using tip 3, outline mouth and eyebrows, pipe in nostrils (smooth). Pipe tip tip 366 pull-out ears. For chick: Trim cake 3/4 in. high. Outline and pipe in beak with tip 4. Pipe tip 3 dot eyes, outline eyebrows and smile lines. Print tip 3 message.
Position animals on cake. Pipe tip 233 pull-out hay. Attach wings and hair tuft to chick with tip 3 dots of icing.
*Combine Lemon Yellow with Golden Yellow for yellow shown. Combine Brown with Christmas Red for brown shown.