Delish Fish Cake
Fondant layering is easy and fun—as proven by this awesome fish-in-the-sea cake! For the wave effect, cut light and dark strips using the Cut-N-Spin Rotating Cutting Board to create the up-and-down edge with ease.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers Add to shopping list FoodWriter™ Fine Tip Primary Colors Edible Color Markers
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Cake Circle Add to shopping list Cake Circle
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Rotary Cutter Add to shopping list Rotary Cutter
- Easy-Add Cut-N-Spin Rotating Cutting Board Add to shopping list Cut-N-Spin Rotating Cutting Board
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter Add to shopping list Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter
- Easy-Add Funny Flower Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Funny Flower Cut-Outs™
Bake and cool 2-layer cake. Place on foil-wrapped cake circle. Prepare for covering with rolled fondant by lightly icing with white buttercream.
Tint 24 oz. fondant light blue, 10 oz. medium blue and 8 oz. dark blue. Cover cake with light blue fondant. Smooth with Fondant Smoother; trim off excess.
Roll out medium blue 1/16 in. thick. Using Rotary Cutter, cut two strips 2 1/2 in. wide x 13 in. long. Place strips on Cut-N-Spin. Using Rotary Cutter, cut a wavy edge on each strip, varying height from 2 in. to 2 1/2 in. deep. Brush wave area on cake with Thinned Fondant Adhesive. Attach strips, trimming as needed.
Roll out dark blue 1/16 in. thick. Using Rotary Cutter, cut two strips 1 1/2 in. wide x 13 in. long. Repeat process for cutting a wavy edge on each strip. Attach below medium blue strips with adhesive.
Tint 1 oz. fondant each orange and green. Roll out colors 1/8 in. thick. For fish bodies, cut a circle in each color using largest Cut-Out. Use Funny Flower Cut-Outs to cut 1 small mouth, 2 medium fins and 1 large tail. Score mouth line with Rotary Cutter. For top fin, use Rotary Cutter to trim off a 2-petal wedge; trim bottom edge to curve around body, for a 1/2 in. deep fin. For side fins, use Rotary Cutter to trim off a 3-petal wedge. For tail, use Rotary Cutter to cut off a 3-petal wedge. Attach body and features to cake with adhesive. For eyes, roll 1/8 in. balls of white fondant. Attach with adhesive.
Using black FoodWriter, draw pupils on eyes. Using blue FoodWriter, draw swirls and bubbles on waves.