Curly Bow Cake
Place this meant-to-impress parcel center stage at baby showers, birthday parties and springtime buffets. Wrap a white-fondant-covered cake in colorful fondant ribbons and bows shaped with our Ribbon Cutter and Embosser Set.
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Ribbon Cutter and Embosser Set Add to shopping list Ribbon Cutter and Embosser Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add 10 in. Round Silver Cake Base Add to shopping list 10 in. Round Silver Cake Base
- Easy-Add Cake Dividing Set Add to shopping list Cake Dividing Set
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Paring Knife
In advance: Make 2 bow loops each in pastel pink, blue, green and yellow and 1 center loop in green (add 1/2 teaspoon of Gum-Tex to each color) for fondant bow.
Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut the following loop strips using using zigzag cutting wheels and 1/2 in. spacers from Ribbon Cutter/Embosser set (you can use 3 wheels and 2 spacers to cut 2 strips at once).
Cut 1 green center loop, 4 1/2 in. long and the remaining strips 6 1/2 in. long.
Shape center and loops, supporting with crushed tissue and let dry. Reserve remaining fondant.
To make curliques: Roll out fondant 1/16 in. thick on Roll & Cut Mat lightly dusted with cornstarch. Cut into thin strips.
Loosely wrap strips several times around a dowel rod to form curls. Let set 5 to 10 minutes. Slide curl off dowel rod and let dry. Attach to cake with damp brush.
Prepare 2-layer round cake by icing lightly with buttercream. Cover cake with 24 oz. white fondant; smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother. Position on cake base.
Using Cake Dividing Set, divide cake in 8ths.
Roll out reserved pink, blue, green and yellow fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut 2 ribbon strips in each color, 8 in. long, using Ribbon Cutter/ Embosser wheels as for loops.
Brush backs with water and attach at each cake division; trim excess. Trim off corners of bow loop ends to form an outward "V" shape.
Attach ends where ribbon strips meet with thinned fondant. Attach center loop and curliques with thinned fondant.
Roll out 1/4 in. diameter balls of white fondant. Attach to bow loops and ribbon strips, 1/2 in. apart, with damp brush.