Crimson Lace Cake
Red stands for regal and romantic on these intricately-decorated tiers. Find fascinating detail at every corner, including scrolled fondant circles, 2-tone teardrops and our Fillable Pillars with twists of ruby ribbon.
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Christmas Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Christmas Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Gum Paste Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Gum Paste
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
red non-toxic pastel chalk
Cake serves 148.
- Easy-Add 6 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 6 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 10 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 10 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 14 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 14 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 1 Add to shopping list Tip: 1
- Easy-Add 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list 10-Pc. Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter Add to shopping list Round Cut-Outs Fondant Cutter
- Easy-Add Floral Collection Flower Making Kit Add to shopping list Floral Collection Flower Making Kit
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 2 of each Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates (8 and 12 inch needed)Easy-Add Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates Add to shopping list Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates
- Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates (16 inch needed)Easy-Add Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates Add to shopping list Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates
- Easy-Add 4 in. Fillable Pillars Add to shopping list 4 in. Fillable Pillars
- Easy-Add 6 in. Fillable Pillars Add to shopping list 6 in. Fillable Pillars
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- 8 x 3 in. craft foam square
- Craft foam block
- 3 in. wide white ribbon (24 inches needed)
- 5/8 in. wide red ribbon (6 feet needed)
- 4 in. high containers for drying hanging circles
- 20-gauge green cloth-covered florist wire (18 pieces, 5 inches long)
- Tea Strainer
- Glue stick
- Wire Cutters
One week in advance: Make rose topper.
Several days in advance: Make fondant flowers. Tint 8 oz. fondant red, add 1/2 teaspoon gum-tex and roll out 1/8 in. thick. Cut 530 forget-me-nots and 200 apple blossoms using cutters from Floral Collection Set. Place flowers on thick foam and cup centers using rounded end of modeling stick from set. Using royal icing, pipe tip 1 dot centers on all flowers; let dry. Also: Make teardrops. Use remaining red fondant and 4 oz. white fondant. Roll out each 1/8 in. thick. Using rose petal cutters from set, cut 60 each large red, large white and small white teardrops. Attach small white teardrops to red teardrops with damp brush; Pipe red scroll design on large white teardrops using tip 1 and royal icing. Let all dry on cornstarch-dusted board.
And: Make 84 Top Border Circles and 60 Hanging Plate Circles. Roll out white fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cut 84 Top Border Circles using medium Cut-Out. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted board. Cut 60 Hanging Plate Circles using large Cut-Out. Mark center of each plate side and position plates on 4 in. high containers. Attach hanging circles with damp brush, positioning so that 1 in. of circle rests on plate. Space circles evenly using 3 per side on 6 in. plate, 5 per side on 10 in. plate, 7 per side on 14 in. plate; let dry. Assemble and decorate using royal icing. Attach prepared red/white teardrops to bottom edge of Hanging Circles; let set. Pipe tip 1 scrolls on all circles. Attach 5 forget-me-nots to each Top Border Circle. Randomly attach additional forget-me-nots and apple blossoms to Hanging Circles; let dry.
And: Prepare base riser. Attach white ribbon to sides of 8 x 3 in. craft foam square using glue stick.
Remove hanging circles from plates. Prepare 2-layer cakes for Separator Plate and Pillar Construction; ice smooth in buttercream. Make bottom border circles. Roll out white fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using largest Cut-Out, cut 8 circles for 6 in. cake, 16 for 10 in. cake and 24 for 14 in. cake. Using Cutting Guide for each bottom border appliqués each cake size, trim off bottom sections of circles using large Cut-Out. Mark center of each cake side. Attach pair of circles to each side of center mark about 1/4 in. apart. For 10 and 14 in. cakes, add additional pairs of circles, about 1/4 in. apart. Mark Scrolled Flower pattern on bottom border circles with toothpick. Cover pattern using tip 1 and royal icing; add tip 1 dots. Attach an apple blossom at top of each piped pattern. Attach Top Border Circles with dots of icing, positioning top half above cake edge; use 4 per side on 6 in. cake, 7 per side on 10 in. cake, 10 per side on 14 in. cake. Attach a large white teardrop between each circle.
At reception: Assemble cakes. Position 14 in. cake on base riser. Fill pillars with lengths of twisted ribbon (7 in. lengths for 4 in. pillars, 11 in. lengths for 6 in. pillars) and position remaining cakes. Reattach hanging circles to separator plates with royal icing; attach apple blossoms where circles meet. Remove rose topper from cake circle and position on cake top.
*Combine Red-Red with Christmas Red for red shown.