Carousel Horse Cake
Give a youngster (and her guests!) the ride of her life. Prettily ice a pair of Oval Pan Set cakes to fashion a fancy foundation for a candy-plaque horse shaped in our Rocking Horse Pan.
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- Easy-Add White Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list White Candy Melts® Candy
Large white gumballs
Cake serves 50.
- Easy-Add New Rocking Horse Pan Add to shopping list New Rocking Horse Pan
- Oval Pan Set (10.75 x 7.8 and 13.5 x 9.8 pans used)Easy-Add Oval Pan Set Add to shopping list Oval Pan Set
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Tip: 102 Add to shopping list Tip: 102
- Easy-Add Tip: 104 Add to shopping list Tip: 104
- Easy-Add Tip: 352 Add to shopping list Tip: 352
- Easy-Add Flower Nail No. 7 Add to shopping list Flower Nail No. 7
- Easy-Add Garland Marker Add to shopping list Garland Marker
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Plastic Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Plastic Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Waxed paper
- Curling ribbon (20 inches needed)
- Transparent tape
- Aluminum foil
- Waxed paper
One day in advance, make rocking horse candy plaque. Using aluminum foil, make a barrier to prevent melted candy from seeping into rocker area of pan. Pour 12 oz. melted candy into prepared pan and refrigerate until set. Trim edges as necessary. Using royal icing, make 89 tip 102 violet rose with tip 6 centers, completing just row 1 and 2. Make 40 tip 104 full roses with tip 12 centers. Make extras to allow for breakage and let dry. Using royal icing, decorate candy plaque. Pipe tip 3 string eyes and mouth; tip 3 dot nose. Pipe tip 5 bridle, hoofs and saddle; pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch. Add tip 5 number, tip 18 string hair. Make a rosette ring: on waxed paper, pipe tip 18 rosette. Dip end of plastic dowel rod in cornstarch and into enter of rosette. Remove rod and clear icing from center. Let rosette ring dry. Cut a 20 in. length of curling ribbon and wrap it around a plastic dowel rod, securing ends with transparent tape.
Bake 3 in. high oval layers and prepare for stacked construction. Using tip 5, pipe message on top tier. From either side of message, mark cake into equal 3 in. sections using garland marker, positioning bottom of garland 1 3/4 in. from bottom edge of cake. Repeat for bottom tier, dividing into 12ths. Pipe tip 16 zigzag garlands at marks. Add small roses to garland points. Pipe tip 5 bead bottom borders Position large roses at bottom border of large tier; add tip 352 leaves. Position small roses at bottom border of small tier.
Attach candy plaque to plastic dowel rod using reserved 2 oz. melted candy, allowing 5 1/2 in. to extend at bottom. Let set. Insert a sharpened wooden dowel rod through cakes and cake board down to base board. Position rosette ring in center of hole. Thread candy plaque on dowel rod over wooden rod and through rosette ring. Plastic dowel rod will rest on cake board of small cake. Attach gumball to top of plastic dowel rod with royal icing. Attach small roses to cover gumball.