Capping Off Success Graduation Cake
Create a graduation cake with a surprise inside—the school colors presented in a checkerboard pattern! Who knows, the graduate might just give you “extra credit” for this graduation cake.
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Color Flow Mix Add to shopping list Color Flow Mix
3 boxes (18.25 oz each) white cake mix
Cake serves 20.
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan
- Easy-Add Cookie Sheet Add to shopping list Cookie Sheet
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Easy-Add Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Parchment Triangles Add to shopping list Parchment Triangles
- Easy-Add 3 Pc. Graduation Cookie Cutter Set Add to shopping list 3 Pc. Graduation Cookie Cutter Set
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare 3 boxes white cake mix following package instructions; divide in thirds
In one portion of batter, gently stir in Royal Blue Icing Color to desired shade (use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter). Repeat with Lemon Yellow and Golden Yellow Icing Colors to color second portion. Reserve 1 portion batter white.
Place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour blue-colored batter in outer section and yellow-colored batter in the middle section and white in center section. Fill sections halfway.
Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place ring in 2nd prepared pan and in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour white batter in outer section and blue-colored batter in the middle section and yellow-colored batter in center section. Fill sections halfway.
Remove ring from pan as before. Bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Remove and stack cakes.
Place clean and dry ring in 3rd prepared pan. Pour yellow-colored batter in outer and white colored batter in the middle section and blue-colored batter in the center section. Fill sections halfway.
DO NOT PUT DIVIDING RING IN OVEN.
Bake and cool graduation cap cookie using roll out cookie recipe. Prepare Color Flow Icing, divide and tint portions blue and yellow. Using tip 3 and full strength blue color flow icing, outline cookie. Flow in with thinned icing in a cut parchment bag. Let dry. Using tip 3 and full strength yellow color flow icing, pipe tassel. Let dry and set aside.
Prepare buttercream icing, divide and tint portions blue and yellow, reserve white. Assemble cake layers on foil-wrapped cake board, spreading thin layer of buttercream icing between layers. Spatula ice cake smooth. Using tip 3 and white icing, pipe swirls on cake sides. Using tip 18 and blue icing, pipe stars on cake sides. Using tip 6 and yellow icing, pipe top and bottom bead borders. Position cookie on cake top, securing with a swirl of buttercream icing.
*Combine Lemon Yellow and Golden Yellow Icing Colors for yellow shown