Candy Heart Turtle Cupcakes
Caramel and pecan filling transforms chocolate cupcakes into a scrumptious Valentine’s Day treat. Topped with lovingly handmade open candy hearts using Wilton Candy Melt candy, these easy-to-make cupcakes will win hearts this February.
Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy (12 ounces makes 24 treats plus candy curls)Easy-Add Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy
Favorite chocolate cupcake recipe or mix
caramel ice cream topping (1 cup needed, divided)
chopped pecans (1 cup needed, divided)
hot fudge or chocolate ice cream topping (1/4 cup needed)
Each cupcake serves 1.
- Easy-Add 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
- food-safe scissors
- Heart Cut-Outs™ Fondant Cutters (small and medium used)Easy-Add Heart Cut-Outs™ Fondant Cutters Add to shopping list Heart Cut-Outs™ Fondant Cutters
- Easy-Add Cookie Pan Add to shopping list Cookie Pan
- Easy-Add Measuring Spoons Add to shopping list Measuring Spoons
- Vegetable peeler or Cheese Slicer
- Easy-Add Mini Loaf Pan Add to shopping list Mini Loaf Pan
- Easy-Add Brown Dots Standard Baking Cups Add to shopping list Brown Dots Standard Baking Cups
- Easy-Add 12-cup Standard Muffin Pan Add to shopping list 12-cup Standard Muffin Pan
- Easy-Add Cooling Grid Add to shopping list Cooling Grid
- Paring Knife
- Easy-Add Tip: 1M Add to shopping list Tip: 1M
Make heart toppers. Melt 4 ounces of light cocoa Candy Melts candy according to package directions. Place medium heart Cut-Out on pan. Use melted light cocoa Candy Melts candy in cut disposable decorating bag to pipe approximately 1/8 in. layer of candy. Place smallest heart in center of medium heart. Tap lightly to level. Chill to set, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove candy plaque from cutters.
Make candy curls. Melt remaining light cocoa Candy Melts candy according to package directions. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons shortening; stir until melted. Pour melted mixture into mini loaf pan cavities, 1 in. thick. Chill until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Unmold and bring to room temperature. Use peeler or cheese slicer on narrow side of candy to make various sized candy curls. Reserve remaining blocks of candy for future use.
Make cupcakes. Prepare cupcake batter following recipe directions. Bake and cool cupcakes. Mix 3/4 cup caramel topping and 3/4 cup pecans for filling. Use paring knife to cut a hole, approx. 1 in. wide x 1 in. deep, in the top of each cupcake. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling into each cupcake.
Decorate cupcakes. Prepare chocolate buttercream icing following recipe directions. Use tip 1M, cut disposable decorating bag and icing to pipe swirl on top of cupcake. Use fudge and caramel toppings in cut disposable decorating bags to drizzle toppings. Sprinkle with pecans. Insert heart topper in icing. Place candy curls on top of icing.