Candy Convoy Cake
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red (no-taste) Icing Color Add to shopping list Red (no-taste) Icing Color
- Easy-Add Cake Release Add to shopping list Cake Release
- light corn syrup
- Jelly fruit slices
Cake serves 12.
- Easy-Add Fire Truck Pan Add to shopping list Fire Truck Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 5 Add to shopping list Tip: 5
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Tip: 21 Add to shopping list Tip: 21
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add 4 in. Lollipop Sticks Add to shopping list 4 in. Lollipop Sticks
We suggest that you tint all icings at one time while cake cools. Refrigerate tinted icings in covered containers until ready to use.
Make 5 cups buttercream icing:
Tint 1/4 cup gray (use a small amount of black)
Tint 1/2 cup black
Tint 1/2 cup blue
Tint 1 cup yellow
Tint 1/4 cup red
Reserve 2 1/2 cups white (thin 1 1/4 cups with 1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon of light corn syrup)
Decorate in Order
Ice wheel hubcaps with gray icing.
Use tip 3 and blue icing to outline front cab of truck.
Use tip 3 and yellow icing to outline cargo area of trunk.
Use tip 5 and blue icing to pipe flatbed and bumper area of trunk.
Use tip 5 and yellow icing to pipe top rim of cargo area.
Use tip 3 and red icing to outline steering wheel and pipe-in front headlight.
Use tip 3 and gray icing to pipe-in center of hubcaps.
Use tip 3 and black icing to pipe-in lug nuts.
Use tip 21 and black icing to outline tires.
Roll jelly fruit slices flat on surface dusted with granulated sugar and cut into package shaps; position in cargo area of truck and use tip 3 and white icing to pipe ribbons and bows.
Use tip 21 and white icing to pipe shell bottom border.
Use tip 18 and yellow icing to pipe stars on bottom border.
Preheat oven to 350°F or temperature per recipe directions. Your cake will unmold easily, without sticking, when you prepare the pan properly. Grease the inside of pan using a pastry brush and solid vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or liquid vegetable oil). Spread the shortening so that all indentations are covered. Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons flour inside pan and shake so that flour covers all greased surfaces.
Turn pan upside down and tap lightly to remove excess flour. If any shiny spots remain, touch up with more shortening and flour to prevent cake from sticking. (You can use vegetable oil pan spray or vegetable oil pan spray with flour, in place of solid shortening and flour or use Wilton Cake Release, for perfect, crumb-free cakes!).
Make one 2-layer cake mix according to package or recipe directions. Pour the cake batter into pan, and if necessary, spread the batter around with a spatula to fill all areas of the pan evenly. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of pan.
Bake cake on middle rack of 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done according to recipe directions.
Remove cake from oven and cool on cake rack for 10 minutes. While the cake is still in the pan, carefully slice off the raised center portion of the cake. This allows the cake to sit more level and helps prevent cracking.
To remove cake from pan, place cooling rack against cake and turn both cake rack and pan over. Lift pan off carefully. Cool cake at least one hour. Brush loose crumbs off cake.
To transfer cake to serving board, hold a cake board against cake and turn both cake and rack over. Lift off rack. Hold another board against bottom of cake and turn cake over. Be sure to hold cake, rack and board close together while turning to prevent cake from cracking.
We recommend hand washing pan in hot, soapy water.