Cake with Hearts and Cupcakes
A treat for your sweetheart begins with a sugar-sprinkled 2-layer cake and continues with the fun fondant cupcakes that encircle the cake side. Sweet!
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
- Easy-Add Pink Icing Color Add to shopping list Pink Icing Color
- Easy-Add Pink Sparkling Sugar Add to shopping list Pink Sparkling Sugar
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
Cake serves 28.
- Easy-Add Checkerboard Cake Pan Add to shopping list Checkerboard Cake Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 4 Add to shopping list Tip: 4
- Easy-Add Tip: 7 Add to shopping list Tip: 7
- Heart Cut-Outs™ (smalled heart used)Easy-Add Heart Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Heart Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add 4 Pc. Party Cookie Cutter Set Add to shopping list 4 Pc. Party Cookie Cutter Set
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Cutter/Embosser Add to shopping list Cutter/Embosser
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Cake Divider Set Add to shopping list Cake Divider Set
Bake and cool checkerboard cake.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare 3 boxes white cake mix following package instructions; divide in thirds In one portion of batter, gently stir in Pink Icing Color to desired shade (use clean toothpicks to transfer color from jar to batter). Repeat with Rose Icing Color to color second portion. Reserve 1 portion batter white.
Place Batter Dividing Ring in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour dark pink-colored batter in outer section and light pink-colored batter in the middle section and white in center section. Fill sections halfway.
Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
Place ring in 2nd prepared pan and in the first prepared 9 x 1 1/2 in. pan. Pour white batter in outer section and dark pink-colored batter in the middle section and light pink-colored batter in center section. Fill sections halfway.
Place clean and dry ring in 3rd prepared pan. Pour light pink-colored batter in outer and white colored batter in the middle section and dark pink-colored batter in the center section. Fill sections halfway.
Remove ring from pan as before. Bake and cool cakes following recipe directions. Remove and stack cakes.
DO NOT PUT DIVIDING RING IN OVEN.
Ice 2-layer cake smooth in buttercream icing.
Divide fondant. Tint 7 oz. light rose, 5 oz. dark rose, 1 oz. red.
Make Cupcakes: You will need approximately 7 for the cake. Roll light rose fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut out cupcake shape using cutter. Using a ruler, mark 3/8 in. cupcake divisions. Cut strips of light rose fondant and attach to alternate divisions using damp brush. Roll out dark rose fondant and cut top portions of cupcakes. Attach with damp brush. Tint a portion buttercream icing to match dark rose fondant. Using tip 4, pipe swirls on cupcake tops. Divide cake into 8ths. Using dots of buttercream icing, attach cupcakes to sides of cake at division marks 1/4 in. up from bottom of cake.
Make Hearts: You will need approximately 35 for the cake. Roll out red and light rose fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut hearts using smallest cutter. Attach red hearts to cupcake tops. Attach red and light rose hearts alternately on cake top. Sprinkle cake top with Pink Sparkling Sugar. Pipe tip 7 bead bottom border.