Botanical Beauty Cake
Use the right tool for the job and your work is easy. Our Square Cut-Outs™ are the right tool for making this fondant lattice fence. Simply cut out the squares following the spacing pattern—you’ll finish with a precisely cut panel with the seamless look you want.
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Pastel Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake serves 68.
- Hexagon Pan Set (9 x 2, 15 x 2 inch used)Easy-Add Hexagon Pan Set Add to shopping list Hexagon Pan Set
- Easy-Add Square Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Square Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Fondant Shaping Foam Set Add to shopping list Fondant Shaping Foam Set
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Floral Collection Flower Making Kit Add to shopping list Floral Collection Flower Making Kit
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Flower Forming Cup Add to shopping list Flower Forming Cup
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Hidden Pillars Add to shopping list Hidden Pillars
- Easy-Add Wooden Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Wooden Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Pastry Brush Add to shopping list Pastry Brush
- 22-gauge cloth-covered florist wire
- Foam square (3 inch needed)
- Craft block
In advance: Make fondant flowers and leaves. Add 1/2 teaspoon Gum-Tex to each color of fondant from multi pack, except blue, and to 4 oz. white. Cut 70 leaves using small rose leaf cutter from flower making set; imprint veins with veining tool. Attach 20 leaves to wires by lightly brushing backs with thinned fondant and pressing wires into backs of vein lines. Pinch bottoms of leaves to seal around wire. Insert wired leaves into craft block to dry; let remaining leaves dry on cornstarch-dusted flower formers. Combine 1 1/2 oz. each of pastel pink and pastel yellow fondant to create peach color. Cut approximately 120 flowers in assorted pastel colors and white using small and large daisy, apple blossom and pansy cutters from set. Using ball tool and shaping foam, thin edges of flowers slightly and cup centers. Let dry on crumpled foil squares dusted with cornstarch to create a natural look. Prepare 50 wires for flowers. Bend a 1/8 in. hook at 90° angle at one end. For flower centers, roll a small ball of fondant (white for pastel, yellow for white flowers), flatten slightly. Dip wire hook in water and insert ball center on hook, pinch bottom to seal ball center to wire and let dry. When dry, attach 50 flowers to wires. Push straight end of wire through middle of flowers and slide flower up toward ball center. Attach with thinned fondant. Set aside to dry.
Also in advance: Prepare base board. For cakes and base board, tint 120 oz. white fondant green using icing color. Cut 3 cake boards 1 in. larger than 15 in. hexagon pan, tape together. Cover prepared board with fondant and smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother.
To cover cakes, combine 48 oz. of pastel green with 24 oz. white fondant; knead in reserved fondant mixture. Prepare 2-layer 9 and 15 in. hexagon cakes (bake two 1 1/2 in. high layers to make each 3 in. high cake) for stacked construction. Prepare cakes for rolled fondant by lightly icing with buttercream. Cover cakes with fondant; smooth with Easy-Glide Smoother. Cover top 3 in. of hidden pillar with fondant to create bouquet vase; set aside. Position cakes on prepared base board.
Make lattice panels using spacing pattern. Attach panels to sides with damp brush, lining up fondant where panels meet. For hidden pillar vase, repeat lattice process, using a 3 in. strip of fondant. Attach to fondant-covered portion of pillar with damp brush.
Insert pillar until fondant-covered portion meets cake top. Roll a small log of fondant and wrap around base of pillar. Place a ball of fondant inside pillar to secure bouquet flowers. Insert flowers and leaves on wires in pillar. Attach remaining flowers and leaves to cake corners with buttercream.