Bathtime Buddies Cake
Rubber duckies shaped from fondant contribute saucy silhouettes to a multi-tiered cake. Use our Rubber Ducky Candy Mold and yellow-tinted fondant to create the ducks swimming around the bottom layer.
- Easy-Add Sky Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Sky Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Lemon Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add White-White Icing Color Add to shopping list White-White Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake serves 42.
- Easy-Add 6 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 6 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 10 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 10 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 1A Add to shopping list Tip: 1A
- Easy-Add Tip: 2A Add to shopping list Tip: 2A
- Easy-Add Tip: 10 Add to shopping list Tip: 10
- Easy-Add Tip: 12 Add to shopping list Tip: 12
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Leaf Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Leaf Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Rubber Ducky Candy Mold Add to shopping list Rubber Ducky Candy Mold
- 2 sets Globe Pillar Sets (2 inch)Easy-Add Globe Pillar Sets Add to shopping list Globe Pillar Sets
- Globe Pillar Sets (2 1/2 inches)Easy-Add Globe Pillar Sets Add to shopping list Globe Pillar Sets
- Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates (6 inch plate used)Easy-Add Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates Add to shopping list Decorator Preferred® Square Separator Plates
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 in. plywood or foamcore board (1/2 inch thick)
In advance: Tint fondant as follows: 1 oz. black, 2 oz. orange, 18 oz. light blue, 30 oz. medium blue, 30 oz. yellow. Make 1 large, 4 medium and 12 small ducks.
Make small ducks using Rubber Ducky Candy Mold. Dust cavities with cornstarch, press in fondant, then unmold onto cornstarch-dusted surface. Shape a flattened dot for eye and tiny dot for pupil. Attach using damp brush.
Make medium ducks using 2 in. globes. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cut a 2 x 7 in. strip to wrap each globe. Brush globes with piping gel and attach fondant, smoothing with hand. Leave opening for pillars clear of fondant. Cut tip 2A eyes and tip 10 pupils using narrow ends of tips; attach using damp brush. Use brush to add White-White dot eye highlight. Shape 2 triangles for beak; attach. Cut wings using medium leaf Cut-Out; reverse and cut again for a symmetrical wing. Shape and attach. Cut feet using medium leaf Cut-Out. Trim 3/4 in. off narrow tip. Use knife to cut and shape webbed feet. Trim bottom of foot using wide end of tip 10, cutting off 1/4 in. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface.
Make large duck using 2 1/2 in. globes. Cover top hole of globe for head with tape. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cut a 2 1/2 x 8 in. strip for each globe. Attach as above. Cut tip 1A eyes and tip 12 pupils; attach. Add White-White dot eye highlight. Shape 2 triangles for beak; attach. Roll out small amount of yellow and orange 1/4 in. thick. Cut wings using large leaf cutter from set; trim off point using open end of tip 1A to match body curve. Shape and attach. Use knife to cut small spikes; attach for hair. Cut feet using large leaf Cut-Out; cut and shape webbed feet; attach.
Also: Use 24 oz. medium blue to cover base board. Reserve remaining fondant.
Bake and cool 2-layer cakes (make two 1 1/2 in. high cakes for each 3 in. high tier). Prepare for Globe Pillar Set Construction and cover with white fondant; smooth with Fondant Smoother. Position bottom tier on prepared board. Cut 4 pillars to 7 in. long and insert into bottom tier. Slide on medium ducks; position feet. Cut 1 pillar to 7 1/2 in. long and insert into top tier. Slide on large duck. Roll out light blue fondant 1/8 in. thick. Cut a strip 2 1/4 x 18 in. long; use knife to cut waves up to 3/4 in. deep across top edge. Attach around base of top tier using damp brush. Cut 2 strips 2 1/4x 20 in. long; cut waves as above and attach around bottom tier. Cut medium blue strips 1/4 in. wide; attach over waves, about 1/2 in. apart, trimming to fit. Use tip 12 to cut dots; attach with damp brush. Attach small ducks around bottom tier.
At party: Position top tier.