Bat Hang-Out Cake
Build a haunted house around stacked square cakes covered in black-tinted chocolate fondant. Use the gate, tree and bat patterns from our 2011 Pattern Book to create eerie gum paste embellishments.
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Orange Icing Color Add to shopping list Orange Icing Color
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Color Add to shopping list Violet Icing Color
- Easy-Add Rose Icing Color Add to shopping list Rose Icing Color
Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant (144 oz.)Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Gum Paste Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Gum Paste
- Easy-Add Dark Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy Add to shopping list Dark Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- Easy-Add Piping Gel Add to shopping list Piping Gel
Cake Serves 62
- Easy-Add 6 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 6 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 8 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 8 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add 10 x 2 in. Square Pan Add to shopping list 10 x 2 in. Square Pan
- Easy-Add Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin Add to shopping list Wide Glide™ Rolling Pin
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother Add to shopping list Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Easy-Add 6 in. Cookie Treat Sticks Add to shopping list 6 in. Cookie Treat Sticks
- Easy-Add Dowel Rods Add to shopping list Dowel Rods
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- 12 x 12 in. plywood or foamcore board (1/2 in. thick)
3 days in advance: Make gate, tree and bat. Tint Gum Paste: 8 oz. black, 8 oz. gray. Roll out 1/8 in. thick. Use patterns to cut out shapes. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted boards.
Also in advance: Decorate gate. Follow pattern to pipe tip 3 details in royal icing. Let dry.
Continuing in advance: Decorate bat, using Thinned Royal Icing. Work quickly, 1 section at a time, to prevent drying. Outline wings and legs with tip 2, body with tip 3. Outline section then immediately use damp brush to brush icing outward for shaded effect. Use tip 2 to pipe facial features and to overpipe main details. When dry, attach Cookie Stick to back with Thinned Fondant Adhesive. Let dry.
Finally in advance: Cover base board with 24 oz. violet fondant.
Bake and cool 2-layer 6 in. and 10 in. square cakes, 3-layer 8 in. square cake (trim 1 layer for 5 in. high tier). Prepare 4 recipes of Chocolate Fondant; tint black.
Attach gate to center front with fondant adhesive. Using full-strength royal icing and tip 3, pipe vertical fence posts, 3/4 in. apart. Pipe pointed bead on top of each post. Pipe horizontal lines 3 in. and 2 1/4 in. from bottom. Pipe a circle
inside each square. Using tip 3, pipe message and bead borders on top 2 tiers. Attach tree. Insert bat.
* Combine Violet with Rose for violet shown.