Sports Ball Pan Se…
- Easy-Add Terra Cotta Icing Color Add to shopping list Terra Cotta Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Cake Release Add to shopping list Cake Release
- light corn syrup
Cake serves 12.
We suggest that you tint all icings at one time while cake cools. Refrigerate tinted icings in covered containers until ready to use.
Make 3 cups buttercream icing:
Tint 1/2 cup brown
Tint 2 1/2 cups terra cotta (thin 3/4 cup with 2 teaspoons light corn syrup)
Decorate in Order
1. With a serrated knife, slice a small piece of cake off rounded side of one half so that, when assembled, cake will sit level.
2. Ice smooth or cover this trimmed area with tip 16 terra cotta stars. Place this half with trimmed side down on serving plate. Make a dam on top of this half by squeezing out a band of icing about 3/4 in. high around the edge. With spatula, spread icing, jam, pudding or other filling in center.
3. Position top half to form ball. Ice cake lightly in thinned terra cotta.
4. Using toothpick, mark sections (divide each half in 4ths). 5. Use tip 3 and brown icing to outline section lines. 6. Use tip 16 and terra cotta icing to cover sections with stars.
Baking Instructions Preheat oven to 350°F or temperature per recipe directions.
Your cake will unmold easily, without sticking, when you prepare the pan properly. Grease the inside of pan using a pastry brush and solid vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or liquid vegetable oil). Spread the shortening so that all indentations are covered. Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons flour inside pan and shake so that flour covers all greased surfaces.
Step 7Turn pan upside down and tap lightly to remove excess flour. If any shiny spots remain, touch up with more shortening and flour to prevent cake from sticking. (You can use vegetable oil pan spray or vegetable oil pan spray with flour, in place of solid shortening and flour or use Wilton Cake Release, for perfect, crumb-free cakes!).
Step 8Make one 2-layer cake mix according to package or recipe directions. Pour the cake batter into pan, and if necessary, spread the batter around with a spatula to fill all areas of the pan evenly. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of pan.
Step 9Bake cake on middle rack of 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done according to recipe directions.
Step 10Remove cake from oven and cool on cake rack for 10 minutes. While the cake is still in the pan, carefully slice off the raised center portion of the cake. This allows the cake to sit more level and helps prevent cracking.
Step 11To remove cake from pan, place cooling rack against cake and turn both cake rack and pan over. Lift pan off carefully. Cool cake at least one hour. Brush loose crumbs off cake.
Step 12To transfer cake to serving board, hold a cake board against cake and turn both cake and rack over. Lift off rack. Hold another board against bottom of cake and turn cake over. Be sure to hold cake, rack and board close together while turning to prevent cake from cracking.
We recommend hand washing pan in hot, soapy water.