Attract a Crowd Cake
Cultivate interest with a butterfly garden still life. Top a trio of 6-in Petal Pan cakes with fondant flowers. Further the fun by arranging flitting fondant butterflies around the images.
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Neon Colors Multi Pack Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Neon Colors Multi Pack
- Easy-Add Pink Icing Writer™ Add to shopping list Pink Icing Writer™
- Easy-Add Yellow Icing Writer™ Add to shopping list Yellow Icing Writer™
- Easy-Add Violet Icing Writer™ Add to shopping list Violet Icing Writer™
- Easy-Add Gum-Tex™ Add to shopping list Gum-Tex™
Each mini cake serves 1.
- Petal Pan Set 6 in. pan usedEasy-Add Petal Pan Set Add to shopping list Petal Pan Set
- Easy-Add Heart Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Heart Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add Daisy Cut-Outs™ Add to shopping list Daisy Cut-Outs™
- Easy-Add 9 in. Fondant Roller Add to shopping list 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Easy-Add Roll-N-Cut Mat Add to shopping list Roll-N-Cut Mat
- Easy-Add Decorator Brush Set Add to shopping list Decorator Brush Set
- Easy-Add Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set Add to shopping list Fondant/Gum Paste Tool Set
- Easy-Add Cake Boards Add to shopping list Cake Boards
- Craft knife
- Paper towels
3 or 4 days in advance: Make butterflies. Separately knead 1 in. balls of neon yellow and neon pink fondant with 1/2 teaspoon of Gum-Tex each. Knead a 1/2 in. ball of neon purple fondant with 1/4 teaspoon of Gum-Tex.
For wings, roll out yellow and pink fondant 1/8 in. thick. Using large Cut-Out, cut 2 pink hearts for each butterfly; using medium Cut-Out, cut 2 yellow hearts for each butterfly. Attach yellow to pink heart with damp brush. With craft knife, trim 5/8 in. from bottom of hearts.
For antennas, roll very thin 3/8 in. long logs of purple fondant; attach tiny balls at one end with damp brush. Reserve remaining purple fondant.
Let all dry on cornstarch-dusted surface. When wings are dry, attach 2 sets together with thinned fondant. Prop at an angle with crumpled paper towels and let dry.
To cover cakes, combine 6 oz. white fondant each with 1 in. balls of neon pink, yellow and purple fondant.
For stems and leaves, tint a 3 in. ball of white fondant green using Kelly Green Icing Color. Prepare 1-layer cakes for rolled fondant by lightly icing with buttercream. Cover cakes with the pastel purple, yellow and pink fondant mixtures; smooth.
Using sponging technique, dab cake tops with matching Brush-On Color. Mark center of cake tops with knife. Using matching neon colors, roll 1/4 x 4 in. long logs. Form loops and position at each petal division. Leave a 1/2 in. opening at each flower center.
Roll out matching neon colors 1/8 in. thick and cut a large and medium daisy for each flower center, using Cut-Outs. Insert daisies in center opening. Roll a 3/8 in. white ball and attach for flower center. Cut a 1/4 in. hole on cake sides, 1 in. from bottom.
Using green fondant, roll 1/4 x 6 in. long logs for each stem; insert in hole. Roll out green fondant 1/8 in. thick and cut a free-form leaf with craft knife; use veining tool from set to create veins. Position on stem.
Using reserved purple fondant, roll a 1 1/4 in. long log for each butterfly body, and a 3/8 in. ball for each head.
Attach to wings with thinned fondant.
Attach antennas with thinned fondant. Position butterflies.