Astro Kid Cake
- Easy-Add Red (no-taste) Icing Color Add to shopping list Red (no-taste) Icing Color
- Easy-Add Royal Blue Icing Color Add to shopping list Royal Blue Icing Color
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Black Icing Color Add to shopping list Black Icing Color
- Easy-Add Copper Icing Color (light skin tone) Add to shopping list Copper Icing Color (light skin tone)
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Cake Release Add to shopping list Cake Release
- light corn syrup
Cake serves 12.
- Easy-Add Little Hero Pan Add to shopping list Little Hero Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 16 Add to shopping list Tip: 16
- Easy-Add Tip: 18 Add to shopping list Tip: 18
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Small American Flag
We suggest that you tint all icings at one time while cake cools. Refrigerate tinted icings in covered containers until ready to use.
Make 5 1/2 cups buttercream icing:
Tint 1 1/4 cups blue (thin with 1 Tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon light corn syrup)
Tint 1/2 cup gray (use a small amount of black)
Tint 1/4 cup black
Tint 1/2 cup copper
Tint 1 1/4 cups yellow
Tint 1/4 cup red
Tint 1/4 cup brown
Reserve 1 1/4 cups white
Before decorating, trim hose, arm extensions and ears off cake.
Decorate in Order
Ice sides and background areas smooth with thinned blue icing.
Use tip 3 and gray icing to outline spacesuit, helmet and boots.
Use tip 16 and copper icing to cover face with stars; overpipe three layers of stars to build up nose.
Use tip 3 and white icing to pipe in whites of eyes (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
Use tip 3 and black icing to outline mouth and eyebrows and to pipe-in pupils.
Use tip 16 and brown icing to pipe pull-out star hair.
Use tip 18 and white icing to cover spacesuit and helmet with stars.
Use tip 18 and gray icing to cover cuffs of suit and boots with stars.
Use tip 3 and yellow icing to pipe dots and tip 16 to pipe stars on cake sides.
Use tip 18 and blue icing to pipe star bottom border.
Use tip 3 and red icing to print message on helmet.
Position flag in hand.
Preheat oven to 350°F or temperature per recipe directions.
Your cake will unmold easily, without sticking, when you prepare the pan properly. Grease the inside of pan using a pastry brush and solid vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or liquid vegetable oil). Spread the shortening so that all indentations are covered. Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons flour inside pan and shake so that flour covers all greased surfaces.
Turn pan upside down and tap lightly to remove excess flour. If any shiny spots remain, touch up with more shortening and flour to prevent cake from sticking. (You can use vegetable oil pan spray or vegetable oil pan spray with flour, in place of solid shortening and flour or use Wilton Cake Release, for perfect, crumb-free cakes!).
Make one 2-layer cake mix according to package or recipe directions. Pour the cake batter into pan, and if necessary, spread the batter around with a spatula to fill all areas of the pan evenly. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of pan.
Bake cake on middle rack of 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done according to recipe directions.
Remove cake from oven and cool on cake rack for 10 minutes.
While the cake is still in the pan, carefully slice off the raised center portion of the cake. This allows the cake to sit more level and helps prevent cracking. To remove cake from pan, place cooling rack against cake and turn both cake rack and pan over. Lift pan off carefully.
Cool cake at least one hour. Brush loose crumbs off cake.
To transfer cake to serving board, hold a cake board against cake and turn both cake and rack over. Lift off rack. Hold another board against bottom of cake and turn cake over. Be sure to hold cake, rack and board close together while turning to prevent cake from cracking.
We recommend hand washing pan in hot, soapy water.