Apple Basket Cake
- Easy-Add Golden Yellow Icing Color Add to shopping list Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Easy-Add Red-Red Icing Color Add to shopping list Red-Red Icing Color
- Easy-Add Leaf Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Leaf Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Brown Icing Color Add to shopping list Brown Icing Color
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
Cake serves 24.
- Easy-Add 9 x 2 in. Round Pan Add to shopping list 9 x 2 in. Round Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 6 Add to shopping list Tip: 6
- Easy-Add Tip: 47 Add to shopping list Tip: 47
- Easy-Add Tip: 349 Add to shopping list Tip: 349
- Easy-Add Cake Circle Add to shopping list Cake Circle
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Brush Set Add to shopping list Brush Set
- Waxed paper
At least 1 day before decorating cake, make royal icing apples (23 apples used on cake shown).
On waxed paper-covered board, pipe tip 6 red and green ball apples, approximately 7/8 in. diameter (pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch). Using end of brush, indent top and bottom of ball. Pipe tip 3 outline stem and tip 349 leaf. Allow to dry completely overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with vegetable pan spray.
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cloves and nutmeg. Stir in vegetable oil and eggs. Add applesauce, mixing just until combined. Gently stir in pecans.
Divide batter equally between prepared pans.
Bake 35-38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center is clean when removed. Cool cakes in pan on cooling rack 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto cooling racks; cool completely before icing. Arrange on foil-wrapped cake board.
Spatula ice cake smooth with yellow buttercream icing. Over cake top, pipe tip 47 ridged side up lattice. Pipe tip 47 shell top and bottom borders.
Attach apples to lattice and borders, using additional dots of icing if necessary.