A Delicate Balance Cake
A Delicate Balance Cake reminds the happy couple that marriage will sometimes be a balancing act. This topsy-turvy cake adds a whimsical touch to engagement parties or bridal showers.
- Easy-Add Creamy Peach Icing Color Add to shopping list Creamy Peach Icing Color
- Easy-Add Kelly Green Icing Color Add to shopping list Kelly Green Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ivory Icing Color Add to shopping list Ivory Icing Color
- Easy-Add Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant Add to shopping list Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant
- Easy-Add Cake Release Add to shopping list Cake Release
light corn syrup
Cake serves 12.
- Easy-Add Topsy Turvy Pan Add to shopping list Topsy Turvy Pan
- Easy-Add Tip: 3 Add to shopping list Tip: 3
- Easy-Add Tip: 7 Add to shopping list Tip: 7
- Easy-Add Tip: 8 Add to shopping list Tip: 8
- Easy-Add Tip: 47 Add to shopping list Tip: 47
- Easy-Add Tip: 104 Add to shopping list Tip: 104
- Easy-Add Tip: 352 Add to shopping list Tip: 352
- Easy-Add Flower Nail No. 7 Add to shopping list Flower Nail No. 7
- Easy-Add Disposable Decorating Bags Add to shopping list Disposable Decorating Bags
- Easy-Add Cake Board Add to shopping list Cake Board
- Easy-Add Fanci-Foil Wrap Add to shopping list Fanci-Foil Wrap
- Easy-Add Spatula Add to shopping list Spatula
- 1 1/2 yards 5/8 in. wide white ribbon
Prepare Icing We suggest that you tint all icings at one time while cake cools. Refrigerate tinted icings in covered containers until ready to use.
Make 4 1/2 cups buttercream icing: Tint 1 1/2 cups ivory Tint 1/2 cup green Reserve 2 1/2 cups white (thin 1 3/4 cups with 1 1/2 Tablespoons light corn syrup) Make 2 cups peach royal icing
Decorate in Order
Using peach royal icing make 7 tip 104 roses with tip 8 bases. Using peach royal icing make 20 tip 104 rosebuds. Make extras of all to allow for breakage and let dry.
Lightly ice smooth and cover with white fondant.
Use tip 3 and ivory icing to pipe dots on top tier.
Use tip 47 with serrated side up and ivory icing to pipe bands 1 in. apart on middle tier.
Use tip 3 and ivory icing to pipe beads between bands on middle tier
Use tip 3 and ivory icing to pipe lattice 1/2 in. apart on bottom tier.
Use tip 3 and ivory icing to pipe drop strings 4 1/2 in. apart and 2 in. deep. Overpipe drop strings with tip 3 balls in ivory.
Use tip 7 and ivory icing to pipe ball bottom borders on all tiers.
Position rosebuds and roses; add tip 352 leaves.
Position bow on cake top.
Baking Instructions Preheat oven to 350°F or temperature per recipe directions.
Your cake will unmold easily, without sticking, when you prepare the pan properly. Grease the inside of pan using a pastry brush and solid vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or liquid vegetable oil). Spread the shortening so that all indentations are covered. Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons flour inside pan and shake so that flour covers all greased surfaces.
Turn pan upside down and tap lightly to remove excess flour. If any shiny spots remain, touch up with more shortening and flour to prevent cake from sticking. (You can use vegetable oil pan spray or vegetable oil pan spray with flour, in place of solid shortening and flour or use Wilton Cake Release, for perfect, crumb-free cakes!).
Make one 2-layer cake mix according to package or recipe directions. Pour the cake batter into pan, and if necessary, spread the batter around with a spatula to fill all areas of the pan evenly. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of pan.
Bake cake on middle rack of 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done according to recipe directions.
Remove cake from oven and cool on cake rack for 10 minutes. While the cake is still in the pan, carefully slice off the raised center portion of the cake. This allows the cake to sit more level and helps prevent cracking.
To remove cake from pan, place cooling rack against cake and turn both cake rack and pan over. Lift pan off carefully. Cool cake at least one hour. Brush loose crumbs off cake.
To transfer cake to serving board, hold a cake board against cake and turn both cake and rack over. Lift off rack. Hold another board against bottom of cake and turn cake over. Be sure to hold cake, rack and board close together while turning to prevent cake from cracking.
We recommend hand washing pan in hot, soapy water.