How to Pipe an Outline
Characters or designs are often outlined first, then piped in with stars or zigzags. Outlines can also be used for facial features.
Fit decorating bag with decorating tip and fill 1/4 full or less with thin consistency icing.
: Hold bag at 90° angle and touch tip to surface.
Squeeze at starting point so that icing sticks to surface. Now, raise the tip slightly and continue to squeeze. The icing will flow out of the tip while you direct it along surface.
To end an outline, touch tip back to surface, stop squeezing and pull away. To smooth icing: After outlining and filling in area with icing, pat smooth using finger dipped in cornstarch.
- When outlining, thinning the icing with piping gel or light corn syrup adds elasticity.
- Can be done with round or star tips, depending on whether perfectly round or ridged outlines are desired.
- Bag position and angle may need to be adjusted for different shapes.
- It's best to start outlining at the top of a pattern working down to the bottom. This keeps your arm from covering the pattern.
- A toothpick is helpful for removing mistakes while outlining.