Buttercream Cookies: Fill six decorating bags separately with tinted icing and white icing. Cut small hole in tip of bag. Pipe small amount of icing on cookie, then use spatula to carefully smear colors together. Repeat as desired. Reserve remaining white icing.
Fondant Cookies: Roll out fondant to 1/16 in. thickness. Using same sized cutters as cookies, cut out fondant hearts. Attach to cookies with small amount of piping gel. Using icing colors and lemon extract, make paints following color combinations provided:
- Light Pink: pink icing color + lemon extract
- Purple: violet and rose icing colors + lemon extract
- Rose: rose icing color + lemon extract
- Burgundy: burgundy icing color + lemon extract
- Red: Christmas red icing color + lemon extract
Using brush and edible paints, paint fondant, blending and swirling colors together.
Prepare three decorating bags with tips 14, 16 and 1; fill each with white icing. Pipe rosettes, stars, drop flowers, dots, hearts and shells on cookies, as desired.