skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 6" high cake, circle in between?
Created On Thursday August 15, 2013 11:26 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Linsey
Posted: Thursday August 15, 2013 11:26 AM
View users profile

Do I need to put a cake circle in-between my layers? I want my top tier to be 6" high, with 3, 6" round cakes. Do I stack and fill as if I was doing a 4" high cake or do I have to put a cake circle in between there somewhere? Nothing heavy is going on the top of the tier.

Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Thursday August 15, 2013 12:43 PM

The only time I've done a 6" high layer was with a 12" round cake. That thing was a monster!!! Fresh strawberry jam & BC filling, BC and fondant covered. I didn't use a cake circle in-between and it turned out beautifully. Worst part was carrying it up two flights of stairs in the venue!! Who has a restaurant with stairs??!!??

If you are going to use a circle in-between, I'd be sure to let someone know for when it's being cut. Could be a nasty surprise with cake flung to the heavens! We wouldn't want that....... If you're doing the cutting than I'd be inclined to have it there just for support sake. Err on the side of caution.... Don't ask me why I didn't.......I didn't even think about it at the time. I have no idea how they even served that cake....tall pieces!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday August 15, 2013 1:21 PM
View users profile

I've never done one that tall but I think you can just do it without having an extra cardboard. I will suggest though, to put sucker sticks down through all the layers (maybe 3 of them in a triangle) which helps tremendously when frosting the cake to keep the layers from sliding apart. I do that all the time in my regular 4" high top tiers.

Report Violation

Bottom

Linsey
Posted: Thursday August 15, 2013 4:55 PM
View users profile

I won't use the board but the sticks are a good idea.
Thanks, Aunt Tilly and cakes06

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Thursday August 15, 2013 10:24 PM
View users profile

I've done 6" tall tiers successfully several times without using an internal board. (Knock wood!) With the extra weight of the third tier, though, a SUPER stiff dam is very important.

Report Violation

Bottom

Linsey
Posted: Friday August 16, 2013 2:06 PM
View users profile

Woke up this morning to find my 6" high cake lopsided. I had wooden skewers in it and who knows. Could this be the reason? I had made 2-6" rounds and then remembered it had to be taller, so I took a 8" cake out of the freezer and trimmed it down to a 6", could that do it? maybe the cake is to moist? who knows, this whole order is a disaster.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday August 16, 2013 2:49 PM
View users profile

Did you let the 8" cake defrost in the fridge? Could be the 8" was not a room temp to match the other layers.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: