skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Steaming Fondant/Gumpaste
Created On Tuesday January 22, 2013 9:47 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

atomicladie
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 9:47 AM

I am making hot pink gerber daisies with a mix of gumpaste and fondant so they will harden....once they are dry I want to steam them to set the color. I also want to put some pearl dust on them to brighten them up a bit. Should I dust them with pearl dust first and steam, or steam then pearl dust. I know I have done this before and think I dry dusted first then steamed them quickly, is that correct?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 10:24 AM
View users profile

Dust first, steam second.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 11:26 AM
View users profile

Steaming has never worked for me. :( I've tried a tea kettle and a hand-held steamer. Maybe I didn't get it close enough, because I was scared it'd drip too much on the fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 12:28 PM
View users profile

Easiest way to steam smaller items is to have a small pot on the stove with a couple inches of water in it, at a slow boil/simmer - but releasing a good amount of steam. Hold your flower about six or so inches above the water and swirl back and forth, trying to get all surface areas exposed to the steam. It doesn't take that much. Once steamed, move the flower to a drying rack or spot, and let the steam evaporate, leaving behind the shininess. Do not touch the flower while it is wet or your hard work will smudge.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 1:05 PM
View users profile

I have a really good clothes steamer. It has been worth its weight in gold. It does a great job on fondant, and it is super to remove old wallpaper. I use it to steam clean grout too. And it does a wonderful job on clothes!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 2:20 PM

cakedujour - What brand is it? I have some grout that needs cleaning!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 2:46 PM
View users profile

It's a Jiffy. It isn't a cheap one but I've had it about ten years and it is as good now as it was when it was new. The very first job it had was removing wallpaper! I've never regretted one of the many pennies it cost. Or even any of the very many dollars it cost.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 3:00 PM

I have a hand held clothes steamer that works great on fondant cakes but I find that when the fondant dries, it is not as shiny as right after I steam it. I made a Legos cake and steamed it so it would look shiny like plastic Legos. It looked so shiny right when I steamed it but lost the shine as it dried. Is this what normally happens?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 3:11 PM
View users profile

Yes, unfortunately, it will lose its shine.

If you want your cake to remain shiny, mix vodka with clear corn syrup. Brush it on your cake. It will leave a nice shine behind. I'm not sure of the exact ratio, but if you do a google search, I'm sure you'll find many links on the subject.

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 3:17 PM

I have a clothes steamer I use, too, for the entire cake or bigger pieces. I don't think I've ever used it on clothes LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday January 22, 2013 10:17 PM
View users profile

Not for cakes, but for figures and flowers that won't be eaten, you can use confectioner's glaze. Use it either full strength or mix it with its thinner for a less glossy look. The shine from steam has a limited life span but if you can do it just before the event it should be ok for the time it will be on display.

Report Violation

Bottom

atomicladie
Posted: Wednesday January 23, 2013 6:08 PM

Thanks cakedujour, this has become quite an interesting post with all the answers! Always good to hear all the thoughts out there.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: