skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Home made Fondant versus Satin Ice or other Brands
Created On Thursday October 18, 2012 11:20 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

vogt51
Posted: Thursday October 18, 2012 11:20 AM

I tried making MMF in the past and I found it to be alot of work! The taste was okay, but I personally just do not like the texture of fondant. I then decided to try the Satin Ice Buttercream fondant. Again, the taste was okay, but I still didn't like it. However, it was much easier than trying to make my own. Since then, I have made many cakes covered in fondant and I have found that NO ONE will eat the fondant! The only fondant I have found that tastes pretty good is the Fondarific brand. But...it makes the cake way too sweet and people still don't want to eat it. So now I'm thinking since no one is eating it anyway, maybe I should just go back to making my own since it will be MUCH cheaper! My question is... Does the MMF look as good as the Satin Ice fondant? Is it as easy to work with as far as rolling it out and forming it to the cake? I've only made it once and that was a long time ago, so I thought I'd get some opinions before going through the work of making it again.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday October 18, 2012 1:25 PM
View users profile

I prefer to buy because it's always there when I need it & it's always the same consistency. Yes buying it is more expensive, but the customer pays, not me and I prefer to spend my time on other things. Making fondant is time consuming & messy IMO & I have enough stuff to clean up between baking, making BC & decorating.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday October 18, 2012 2:27 PM
View users profile

I'm with Chrystal. I like having my fondant ready at a moment's notice and I don't like cleaning. Why make more mess that I'll have to deal with?

Report Violation

Bottom

vogt51
Posted: Thursday October 18, 2012 2:57 PM

Yeah, I'm tempted to just keep using the satin ice. I do run into problems with the people in my area saying the prices I'm charging for cakes covered in fondant are too expensive for them. My prices are pretty low already, and I need to charge for what I'm paying for the fondant. That's why I was considering making my own. But, I'm all about ease and less mess, so I guess I'm just gonna stick to SI.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Thursday October 18, 2012 5:18 PM
View users profile

Even if it cost less to make, you still need to charge for your time, so in the end there's not really a price difference.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Thursday October 18, 2012 6:12 PM

Ditto what Chrystal said!
I love Satin ice. I have never had luck with MMF plus I have no time for it....customer is definitely paying for it.lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Friday October 19, 2012 1:13 PM

I now use both.

I make MMF (after a while, it's not so time consuming or hard, you get into a rhythm with it) unless I need black or red. I buy Satin Ice for those two colors. I'm not officially a business yet, and the 5 bucks it costs to make a large batch of MMF vs. the 18.00 for a 2 lb tub of Satin Ice... yeah, it's an easy call for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

cng
Posted: Sunday October 21, 2012 6:25 PM

would you mind sharing your recipe ?? i would really like to try to make it for myself also ,but i am confused as to what recipe i should use

Report Violation

Bottom

happycakes1
Posted: Sunday October 21, 2012 6:46 PM

Satin ice is now at restaurant depot in 20 lb buckets. Sweet tex hrs only in 50 lb box but you will be surprised at the small size but very heavy box and rich's better cream in bucket of course BUT they have quarts of Rich's whipped frosting (same thing) at a very low price. They have expanded all baking "stuff". downside....you need a tax e.i.n. # to join. Be camino, I agree ...once you get in the groove of making your own, you find yourself looking at fondant specials and if they are less than 2.50 a pound I buy but any more than that, I make it. I do like buying the choc. Fondant and making black from it

Report Violation

Bottom

vogt51
Posted: Sunday October 21, 2012 6:52 PM

I think I'm going to try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF from cake central. I'm going to use my mixer with the dough hook. If it only takes a few minutes and it's not messy AND it works with my mat, then I'm going to start using that for awhile and see what I think.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 11:22 AM

vogt51, do you have "the mat?" I am trying to find out if anyone uses the MM fondant and how it works with the mat. I make MM fondant and use my kitchen aid exclusively. As soon as the last bit of powdered sugar combines, I take it out. Otherwise, if you keep it in longer, it starts sticking to the sides.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 12:27 PM
View users profile

Vogt, I have made Rhonda's. I have also made Bunny's. I think I actually like the taste of Bunny's better when I use 1 T water, 1 T flavorings (vanilla and butter usually), 1/2 tsp. popcorn salt.

I just watched a YouTube video this weekend from Eda de la Cruz demonstrating how to make MMF, and her recipe include glicerine, corn syrup, and lemon juice. Now that I think about it, it may well be very similar to Rhonda's (although I haven't set the two side by side to do a true comparison).

Either way, I truly think to get the best tasting MMF, you need to use some yummy flavoring in it.

Edna does a great job in her video of explaining why she uses the corn syrup and glicerine, which makes a lot of sense.

If you are looking for very simple, use Bunny's MMF. If you are looking for a bit better behaving yet more ingredients MMF, then try either Rhonda's or Edna's. Either way, it is definitely less expensive than store bought fondant, ingredient wise, but does take a bit of practice to get it to come out the way you want it.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 1:10 PM
View users profile

Ditto to what spooky said.

I've made both, but usually stick with BW's 'cause it has less ingreds., which makes it easier for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

vogt51
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 1:48 PM

kimodell, I do have The Mat and I LOVE it!!! Number one reason is because the fondant NEVER dries out when in the mat. If it takes me forever to roll it out, it's not a problem because it won't dry out between the layers. Also, when I'm cutting out a bunch of little circles or something, I can cut them all out and then take them out of the mat a few at a time to put on the cake and the others stay nice and moist in between the layers of the mat. The second reason I love it is because it makes it so much easier to put the fondant on the cake. You can just lift up the mat and put it over the cake and the fondant won't fall off the mat. So you can position it wherever you need it and then start peeling the fondant off the mat and let gravity do the rest. Another reason I love The Mat is because I don't have to use cornstarch. Which means, no worrying about cleaning up the cornstarch afterward.

As soon as I've tried some of these MMF recipes, I'll try them with The Mat and report back.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 1:56 PM

Great to know, thanks. I am ordering one today so will probably report about the same time you do. I have started actually (since I can now smooth and level really nice) use buttercream and then do accents in fondant. Then you have an ample amount of buttercream to eat!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 2:03 PM
View users profile

I'd be very careful about cutting on The Mat. You don't want to damage the surface as any cuts will mar the fondant. You will be very happy with The Mat, I think!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 2:36 PM
View users profile

I'm a bit jealous of those of you who are just now buying The Mat, as it has been improved upon, with the markings on it, and you can now tell which two sides to put together when rolling, and you get two different sizes to choose from.

The original mat was only one size with no markings on it to tell how big you were rolling your fondant.

And yes, CDJ is so right, be careful cutting anything out on it as it can damage the surface, or gasp, cut through it!

Report Violation

Bottom

vogt51
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 11:57 AM

Okay, so I just finished making Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. I used my mixer and dough hook and I melted the marshmallows in the microwave like stated. It took me about 35 minutes to prepare it, make it and then clean up my counters and dishes. So that's not too bad. It made about 44 oz. It was a little messy because I had to grease everything like the microwave bowl, the spatula, the mixer bowl, the hook and the counter. The mixer did most of the work, but I still had to turn it out onto the counter and do a little kneading to finish mixing in the sugar, which wasn't too messy. All in all, I would say it was a much better experience this time because I used the mixer instead of doing it all by hand.

I'm going to let it sit overnight and then I'll let you know how it works with the mat.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 6:16 PM

happycakes1~~I am fortunate to be able to buy 10 lbs. of FondX Zero, Virgin White, at $25.38 per 10 pound bucket, at a nearby wholesaler that sells to hobby bakers. I have been happy with the FondX workability and consistent performance. Since it costs me $2.50 per pound, is this a good reason to keep buying it instead of making it from scratch?

I haven't tried making any fondant from scratch because I have COPD and get really short of breath kneading the pre-made FondX fondant. I usually avoid fondant and go buttercream or chocolate wraps because of the taste and reduced overall cost. Most everyone in my group of people who receive cakes don't care for the taste of fondant. They LOVE the look, but don't eat it.

Should I make the effort of making my own fondant since I am able to get it for $2.50 a pound?

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 6:19 PM

For those of you that have the Mat, let me know how you do with using a homemade fondant with it. I have found that a softer fondant is a nightmare with it. I used Fondarific- my all time favorite for taste- last month on my birthday cake and it was an ever loving disaster. I was near tears at 11 pm rolling it out for the 5th time. I just gave up and rolled it straight on my big blue Ateco mat.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: