skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Questions re Wilton giant cupcake pan
Created On Tuesday October 09, 2012 4:00 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday October 09, 2012 4:00 PM

I'm planning to use this pan tomorrow and have a couple of questions. I want to use the "Yummy in my Tummy doctored red velvet" recipe (so good):

1. Will one recipe be enough to fill both top and bottom of pan?
2. Will this recipe be sturdy enough with regards to stacking?

The pan instructions say to use 4 1/2 cups batter for the top and put the rest in the bottom, but it doesn't say how much you need altogether. It didn't give instructions for using a package mix either....which is why I'm wondering if it will hold up. I'll be using only buttercream and hopefully will attempt a chocolate base.

Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Tuesday October 09, 2012 5:09 PM
View users profile

You will have more than enough for the pan. It is a one box pan and that RV recipe makes more than that. I usually get 2 FULL 8" layers from that recipe. The added flour, etc make the difference. You'll probably have enough left for a few cupcakes. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday October 09, 2012 5:49 PM

Great, thanks trecur. You mention "extra flour"....do you mean in the mix because this recipe doesn't call for extra flour. It has a box of pudding, sour cream and a few other things, but not extra flour. Just making sure. Thanks again!!!!

I seem to always want to play it safe and go with what I know....which is a basic round cake. It's my friend's birthday and I'd love to try out this pan since I've had it forever, but I don't want it to collapse or not cook thoroughly inside as I've read in some other posts. I will use a flower nail in the bottom portion. I'm just gonna go for it....wish me luck !!!!

Thanks again

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Tuesday October 09, 2012 8:32 PM
View users profile

You're right, I changed the recipe a little. I forgot there wasn't extra flour in the original recipe, mixed it up with the WASC. So many recipes, so little time

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Thursday October 11, 2012 9:50 AM

I made my cake using the Wilton giant cupcake pan and it came out perfect. I used one recipe of the Yummy in my Tummy doctored red velvet and it was more than enough. I made Kathy F's cream chese icing. I also made the chocolate mold for the base for the first time. I was so pleased, the chocolate base was soooooooooo easy to make, it was easy to cut and it turned out perfect. This cake is so easy and it has a big wow factor. The swirls are super fast. Thanks for all the advice on this forum from previous posts on this pan.

giant cupcake12.jpg giant cupcake12.jpg  (52 KB)
giant cupcake21.jpg giant cupcake21.jpg  (76 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Thursday October 11, 2012 10:09 AM

That is way too cute! So are you saying that the bottom is molded chocolate? How do you do that?

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Thursday October 11, 2012 4:15 PM

kimodell - Yes, after baking the cake, I cleaned up the pan, melted a bag of candy melts and painted it on the inside of the pan. Chill it in the fridge for half an hour and it pops right out. I could not believe how easy it was. Here's one link showing how it's done. There are several online and I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere. The only thing to remember is that in order to fit the cake into the chocolate mold, you have to trim the sides of the cake a bit otherwise it will blow out the sides of the chocolate mold.

Here's a pic and tutorial from CakeCentral:
http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/giant-cupcake-candy-melt-base

Here's another web link:
http://iheartcuppycakes.com/2010/03/01/giant-red-velvet-birthday-cupcake/

Report Violation

Bottom

berry good
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 12:22 AM

Fantastic cake!!! It is a fun cake to make, & people are really impressed.

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 10:38 AM

I just may buy that pan and try it. Years ago I bought that pan and then returned it because I didn't like the way it turned out on top. Little did I know about "leveling!" Now I know better.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 4:37 PM
View users profile

Dietcoke, how many servings did you got from that gorgeous cupcake?
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 5:18 PM

I'd say about 12. At first I thought I was cutting them to thin, but they were so tall that it was fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Friday October 12, 2012 5:25 PM

WOW! That is gorgeous! Thanks so much for taking of pic of the "cupcake" cut in half. I know it is hard to get pictures of the cut cake, but it really helps everyone to see how it is constructed.

Fabulous looking cake! Did you absolutely blow your friend's mind with this cake creation?

By the way, I was just "talking" to Dianee of this forum about measuring batter for different size pans. You can measure how much is needed in any pan by filling it with water, then pouring that water into a measuring cup. TA DA! You know exactly how much is needed. (Alan Tetrault of Global Sugar Arts showed this in a youtube demo.)

Report Violation

Bottom

Mickeebabe
Posted: Saturday May 11, 2013 6:58 PM

dietcokenoice - I just baked my giant cupcake but it doesn't look right. The bottom didn't rise to the top on the sides and I have a big mound in the middle.

Can you tell us what you did and how you baked your beautiful giant cupcake?

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday May 12, 2013 6:29 AM
View users profile

When I started using the giant cupcake pan I had to experiment with Mounts of batter to use in each side. When I got that hump in the middle I just trimmed it down and used extra buttercream filling to fill in the gaps. My avatar is a giant cupcake. And buttercream and decorations cover a lot and add more height.
Ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: