skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Planning a Cars cake
Created On Saturday October 06, 2012 9:40 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

eredwards
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 9:40 PM

Time to start planning baby boy's birthday cake. Here's what I have in mind so far...
-Cake board covered in black and white checkerboard pattern. Still haven't figured out exactly how I plan on making that design.
-2 tier round cake
-Bottom tier depicting Radiator Springs and top tier depicting racetrack life.
-Buttercream with fondant figures "glued" to the sides

I am completely open to suggestions as to how to create my checkerboard pattern and fondant figures. (And any ogher recommendations you may have!) I wanted edible paint but all I can find is markers. Do they work ok?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 10:04 AM
View users profile

There are a couple of ways to go about the checkboard design.

#1 Cover the board with either black or white fondant. Use a square cutter to cut out the pattern. Line them up so the pattern stays consistent. Remove the cut outs. Roll out the alternate color, cut squares with the same cutter and place them into the cut out pattern on the cake board. Run a rolling pin over the cake board to kind of "marry" the squares back into the pattern. Does that make sense?

#2 Cover the board with white fondant. Use the back of the square cutter (the rounded side) to impress a checkerboard design into the fondant. Be careful not to press too hard. Thin some black gel color with vodka or lemon juice and paint the pattern onto alternating squares.

For the figures, knead some tylose powder into the fondant so the figures will be strong and dry faster. Hold pieces together with strands of uncooked spaghetti. Make some fondant/gumpaste glue. You can get books in the polymer clay aisle of the craft store. They give great instructions that are easily converted to use with fondant. You change obvious stuff like not using straight pins or glass/plastic beads, etc.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: