skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gum paste decorations on a buttercream iced cake-prevent soggy help please
Created On Saturday October 06, 2012 11:34 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

one4islands
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 11:34 AM

First time using gum paste to make my daughter a Little Mermaid cake. The sea life turned out awesome and I was impressed at how much easier it was to work with over fondant. (I bought the premade Wilton). I am having some issues and concerns. I thought my decorations were dry last night, I put them in a plastic container with no lid and found them a bit softened and limp this morning. I suppose I did not dry them long enough. This morning, I put them in the plastic containers with rice in the bottom and lids on tight. I am now reading that is not correct and will worsen things. I can't correct until I get home from work. What can I do to reharden them?
Once I get them rehardened, I am then concerned with how to have them stay hard on a buttercream iced cake. The cake will have to be decorated about 24 hours in advance of a party because I will be traveling with this. Will the decorations be okay on this cake 24 hrs. ahead of time. I have tall blades of seagrass that I could poke into the cake just before the party, I am afraid they will go limp and they need to be hard in order to stand up.
Thanks in advance!

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 12:49 PM

I use fondant decorations on bc cakes all the time and have never had problem with the decorations softening...evenif they go on the cake a day ahead. Always leave your decorations open to dry...I also make sure they are placed on a corn starch dusted surface to dry out so they don't stick to the surface.
Now that you are dealing with limp pieces,you can just leave them in open to dry and see what happens..maybe a fan blowing from a distance may help? Wilton fondant dries faster than any other fondnat I think....can't think of any other way of drying. But I am sure soemone else would be around to help!

Report Violation

Bottom

one4islands
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 2:08 PM

Thanks for your response. I've used fondant before and have never had any problem, but I am using gum paste for this cake. It seems to harden differently from the fondant I've used. The fondant never really gets rock hard, but the smaller gum paste pieces I made yesterday were and still are hard, it's the larger pieces that aren't and have softened. I am guessing they were not dry enough. I have 5 days before I need to decorate the cake. It seems I will have to dry them much longer.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday October 06, 2012 2:32 PM
View users profile

Larger pieces of gumpaste will take longer to dry than smaller ones. If you happen to have a dehydrator you could use that to help things along, otherwise, aim a very clean fan at them but as Preeti says, don't put them too close to the fan. They will be fine on BC.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: