skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Family member being difficult wants a cake decorated with store bought frosting any suggestions?
Created On Thursday October 04, 2012 12:04 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Gidget.0911
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 12:04 AM

I have an orange sheet cake with store bought cream cheese frosting and marble cake with choc. Frosting and she wants a fall theme flowers. Now my question is can I frost the cakes with the store bought and use buttetcream flowers and it not taste funky? Thought about royal icing flowers but she wants edible so is this do-able or is her difficulty going to make this bday cake turn out bad? Any ideas for a fall/autumn birthday cake for older lady would also be appreciated!

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 7:13 AM

had to chuckle on this one! I HATE when people ruin a cake with store bought frosting! anyways before i get on a soap box about that. I would probably make a batch of RI and do it that way. I just wouldnt let the flowers sit for a really long time so they are still able to be eaten and npt break your teeth. ill look for a cake for your b-day party as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 7:24 AM

I don't think it would taste bad to use bc flowers. A plus is the guests could see how much better bc is than canned frosting!! (although I actually like a lot of canned frosting)

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 7:25 AM

i have a magazine called celebrating cakes that has a few cute fall ideas in it if you could get an online copy that might be a good start. http://blog.divaentertains.com/tag/fall-birthday-cake/ i like the black and white one, but i would change the colors to maybe gold with brown dots or orange and red.....the black is to dark i think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimberlykv/4054841763/ i like the colors of this one. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/cakespace/4100405613/ LOVE the simplicity of that one, except use fall flowers instead of the spring flowers. hopefully this helps a bit

Report Violation

Bottom

tildastreasures
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 7:29 AM

good point Sweetgrandma! canned is ok in SOME cases but not many at all. i wonder if there is a cake frosting dr book?? that would be pretty sweet!

Report Violation

Bottom

Gidget.0911
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 1:20 PM

Thanks everyone I know choc. Frosting is awesome especially on graham crakers with marshmallow fluff for an instant smore kids love that or just straight up out of the can (guilty) :-) ! But on a suprise bday cake not so much! Thank you tildastreasures for the websites I looked around most of the fall ones I've found are halloween or thanksgiving so I'll definetly take a look at those I'm sure they'll be what I'm lookn for!

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 3:08 PM
View users profile

My husband doesn't like a lot of stuff on his birthday cakes so I usually do chocolate icing with a top border of fall-colored leaves and maybe a pumpkin or two.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday October 05, 2012 10:59 AM
View users profile

I think using canned frosting along with your buttercream flowers etc. will be just fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday October 05, 2012 3:52 PM
View users profile

Gidget, not to drive yourself crazy about what other people think tastes good. Fortunately, some of the canned chocolates have a decent taste..of course, you could make your own chocolate and tell them it is canned..LOL
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

Bella Daisy Cakes
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 9:05 PM
View users profile

I would use your favorite frosting & make them guess what brand it is.
I also wouldn't admit to anything...ever.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: