skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Why are my cakes shifting on the board...need advice please!
Created On Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:26 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

preetscake
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:26 PM

Hi everyone...
I am not sure what is going wrong lately with my cakes...last few times I got feedback from my clients,they said the cake was off center due to sliding on the board...It has actually happened with a wedding cake too. When I reached the venue,I noticed that the cake was comepletely shifted towards one side of the board and it may have actually slid off the board if I drove for another half an hour without noticing it! I can't think of anything that is being done in any different way than normal,but obviously something is wrong. It's not tht hot anymore here,so I dont think heat is an issue. Can you guys think of any reason and please give me some advice.
Btw, I put bc as a glue in between the cake board (the same size board/cake circle that the cake is sitting on) and the actual display board(the larger one wrapped with fancy foil)....and I have always been doing it this way.
Thanks so much for any help!

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:30 PM

I would use the rubber shelf lining, I use that all the time, makes it stay in place. It isn't jumping off the first cake board that the cake is on right? If not, the shelf liner is the answer.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:36 PM
View users profile

I use two dowels through all the tiers an into the display board..keeps it from sliding and turning..
Preet when you use the shelf liner do you use it between the bottom cake board and the display board to keep it from shifting, right?
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

kimodell
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 3:55 PM

Not preet, I use it. And yes, between the two. I even put it in my car so nothing moves. I don't bring things assembled though.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 4:26 PM

kimodell,the cake is not sliding off it's actual cake board. It shifts from the display board.
I do not use shelf liners in between the cake board and display board.Wouldn't it create a gap between the boards? I will try it though.
Ginny, what if it's a single tier cake? do you still dowel it with the board?

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 7:18 PM
View users profile

I use loops of duct tape to secure the board under the bottom tier to the display board, like Sharon Zambito teaches in one of her DVDs. If it's a tall cake or a long drive, I also do the double dowel technique described by ginny. I was in a demo with Bronwen Weber's husband last spring, and he said they use double sided carpet tape.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 7:32 PM
View users profile

I too tape the board the cake is sitting on to the display board. This keeps it from shifting.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 9:49 PM
View users profile

I use the double dowels when I have a tiered cake but now that I use the pipe/flange system the dowels are not necessary.
If I have a large single tier cake I will use two dowels to keep the cake from shifting..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 10:49 PM

I do what Scubabaker said. I use loops of duct tape or two-sided foam tape to connect the display board to the cake board. That sucker isn't going anywhere.

I use buttercream to attach the actual cake to the cardboard cake circle/cardboard.

Report Violation

Bottom

krzykakes
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 6:21 AM
View users profile

I also use duct tape to stop my cakes from sliding

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 6:23 AM

Thanks so much everyone...I have used scotch tape in between the boards and then stopped doing it for no apparent reason. I will go back to that I guess or just get duct tape since it is stronger. But I have used bc for this without any problem for a long time so why is it causing problem now....anyway,I appreciate you all taking a moment to answer!:-)
Preeti

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 7:20 AM
View users profile

Am I the only one who puts the cake right on the base board? I cut my own from 1/2" foam core board and cover it with Fanci Foil or whatever. Then I put the cake right onto that. I place strips of wax paper under the edges to keep the board clean and remove them when it is time to add borders. I can't think of a cake ever sliding off. Knock on wood.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 7:39 AM

Kathy, I do put my cake directly on the board only when it is covered with foodsafe foil...But I do use those florist foils pretty often and can not put the cake on those.That is when I end up using the same size board for the cake and then place it on a larger display board.
I am pretty sure the tape would work..dowels are a good idea but I maybe lazy going that way.I just keep wondering why I am having this problem NOW? :-(

Report Violation

Bottom

krzykakes
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 8:33 AM
View users profile

You're not the only one cdj...I have my cake drum, duct tape in the middle of the drum, and my iced cakes are already on the cake board so I just stick it to the tape and stack it from there

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 10:38 AM

preet~~Maybe you've just been lucky until now. If you used to to tape them together and stopped, maybe it was a "slide" waiting to happen.

Something that works as well as duct tape is two sided foam mounting "tape". I get mine at the dollar store. Here's a photo.
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10062/Double-Sided-Foam-Tape/3M-4026-Double-Sided-Foam-Tape-Squares-1-x-1?pricode=WU325&gadtype=pla&gclid=CM75w-mW5bICFbKiPAodJEYA_Q

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 10:43 AM

Thanks so much Christina! I am going to Walmart and $ store TODAY! :-)
May be I DID get away with bc by luck until now! It's funny how we never stop learning even years after decorating cakes!

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 1:41 PM
View users profile

Hey Christina, like that idea of the foam mounting tape..will be using it on the next tiered cake.. Thanks
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

Felicia's
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 7:54 PM
View users profile

I also place my cakes on a cake board and then on the larger decorated cake board, using BC to glue and have not had an issue either. Have you changed your ingredients at all? I was taught to do this way by someone who has baked for 40 years.

Report Violation

Bottom

preetscake
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 9:05 PM

Felicia...I have not changed anything..that is why I am surprised! Like I said,it can not even be the hot weather.I considered that the warm weather melting or softening the bc causing the slide.I just don't understand! I guess I need to switch back to tape..or maybe I am not using enough icing between the boards?

Report Violation

Bottom

brandyu
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 12:40 PM

CDJ I just put my cakes right on the board too. I just make sure whatever I'm covering with is food safe but I've never bothered with an extra board.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: