skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Let's share pictures of our cake journey!
Created On Tuesday September 11, 2012 11:26 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

scubabaker
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 11:26 AM
View users profile

Hi, everyone! whoknew? recently started a post to share some pictures of key milestones in her cake journey. I was thinking it might be fun to start a post we could all use to post pictures that represent our own journeys.

My own journey will hit the three year mark in October. I wanted to make a 3-D marching band hat for my son's graduation, so I signed up for a Wilton 1 class his junior year. I smiled looking back at my first cake and thinking how awesome I thought I was.

I took Wilton 1 & 2 and made three attempts to take Wilton 3 (fondant) but all were cancelled. I decided to strike out on my own to learn how to do fondant cakes. Along the way I found this forum, Sharon Zambito DVDs and Jennifer Dontz.

The picture titles should tell the story of my journey. I look forward to seeing yours!!!

Journey 1 - Wilton 1 First Cake.jpg Journey 1 - Wilton 1 First Cake.jpg  (130 KB)
Journey 2 - Wilton 2 Final Cake.jpg Journey 2 - Wilton 2 Final Cake.jpg  (75 KB)
Journey 3 - First Fondant Cake.jpg Journey 3 - First Fondant Cake.jpg  (116 KB)
Journey 4 - JenBito Topsy Turvy First Gumpaste Flowers.jpg Journey 4 - JenBito Topsy Turvy First Gumpaste Flowers.jpg  (78 KB)
Journey 5 - Why I Started Decorating.jpg Journey 5 - Why I Started Decorating.jpg  (90 KB)
Journey 6 - First Wedding.jpg Journey 6 - First Wedding.jpg  (106 KB)
Journey 7 - Latest Cake - Mom Wedding.jpg Journey 7 - Latest Cake - Mom Wedding.jpg  (96 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 12:05 PM

Great pictures. I bet you were a favorite of your teacher. Your work is stunning subabker!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 12:06 PM

Oopsie! I mean sCubabaker!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 1:28 PM

Those are wonderful pictures Gail! I absolutely LOVE, LOVE your wedding cake at the end!!!!!!!!!

Look at those gumpaste flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheer perfection, my friend! Gumpaste is you "thing" I tell ya!

Report Violation

Bottom

brandyu
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 1:33 PM

All of them are beautiful!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 2:03 PM

I don't see that you had a learning curve at all! Your first cakes are wonderful and the fondant one is perfect!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 2:23 PM
View users profile

My cake journey began 30 years ago! I wanted to make a cake for my baby's first birthday. I have a few embarrassing pictures of some very early cakes - but back then I was so proud! See? It is possible to come from no skills to some decent cakes! I don't have pictures of all my cakes but I'll put some of them from along the way...

The early cakes are dated and the last two are from this summer. A 30 year cake journey.

bunny birthday cake 1981.jpg bunny birthday cake 1981.jpg  (74 KB)
christy and damien wedding cake_edited-2.jpg christy and damien wedding cake_edited-2.jpg  (112 KB)
clown - square 1984.jpg clown - square 1984.jpg  (70 KB)
clown heads - 1985.jpg clown heads - 1985.jpg  (36 KB)
grenadier cake 2001.jpg grenadier cake 2001.jpg  (61 KB)
very hungry caterpillar 1 CDJ1.jpg very hungry caterpillar 1 CDJ1.jpg  (114 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2012 2:54 PM
View users profile

Yay, Kathy! Thanks for playing along and posting info and pics on your journey. It's amazing to see the progression from the early cakes to your most recent hydrangea wedding cake and the Hungry Caterpillar cake. Wow!

Thanks to the rest of you for your generous feedback.

bunny, I've seen your gumpaste flowers first hand and know what fine work you do yourself. I saw your JenBito camp cake when I retrieved the picture of mine. Made me smile and think of you.

sweetgrandma, as for your comments...distance was definitely my friend on the first couple of cakes. My shell borders were so uneven with frayed edges to the icing and my cakes weren't even close to level. I'm almost happy with the fondant one, but still kick myself for adding a buttercream shell border instead of some lovely fondant pearls. Always our own worst critics, I guess.

Can't wait to see more pictures and stories!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 8:10 AM
View users profile

Bumping back up in hopes that others will share pictures of their cake decorating journey.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 8:53 AM
View users profile

My cake decorating has already been documented here. My avatar is my last cake before taking the wilton classes (started the following month) in June of last year. I've posted my final cakes from each class and my attempts on my own. My two most adventurous cakes were xmas and this past mother's day when I made figures as well as my first 2 tier cake. I learned how to make bubbles at the last CFF and posted a pic of my father's day cake that I made bluish bubbles for so I guess I'll repost them here. It seems the resized pics are not showing up when I try to upload them but my pic from course 4 will so I added it and my latest which was a hamburger.

Who's NEXT???

DSCF1503 (232x350)2.jpg DSCF1503 (232x350)2.jpg  (96 KB)
DSCF1787 (350x263)1.jpg DSCF1787 (350x263)1.jpg  (108 KB)
DSCF1807 (336x350)1.jpg DSCF1807 (336x350)1.jpg  (113 KB)
holiday 2011 855 (323x350)2.jpg holiday 2011 855 (323x350)2.jpg  (128 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

nanapona
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 10:53 AM

Mine started about 4 years ago when I wanted to make my son's first birthday cake. I enrolled in a private class but since my work involved a lot of travel overseas I was making progress very slowly so had to give in and let the instructor make the cake for my son. I was very proud of my very first decorated cake till later years and probably deleted it since I can't find the picture (will keep searching ). I have selected a few to tell my story .

first fondant covered RI flowers and colour flow.JPG first fondant covered RI flowers and colour flow.JPG  (146 KB)
first hand painted cake.JPG first hand painted cake.JPG  (142 KB)
first modelling.JPG first modelling.JPG  (137 KB)
first novelty.jpg first novelty.jpg  (18 KB)
first paid wedding.jpg first paid wedding.jpg  (100 KB)
first wedding1.JPG first wedding1.JPG  (125 KB)
firstcarved cake.jpg firstcarved cake.jpg  (69 KB)
now_last weekends wedding.jpg now_last weekends wedding.jpg  (121 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 11:46 AM
View users profile

Wow! It's such fun to see the progression.

trecur, your flowers and figures are just wonderful!

nanapona, from your hand painting to the tufting to the super smooth fondant, your work is just beautiful.

Eagerly hoping others will post, too!

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 3:18 PM

Okay...here's all of mine, on one handy dandy link. They're in chronological order from Elmo to PacMan...over about...about 8 years I think.

Yikes...those early cakes...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.498610265345.380291.627325345&type=3

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 7:43 PM
View users profile

I tried your link, becamico, but got a message that I don't have access. :( Would love to see your cakes...

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 9:19 PM

becamico - I just tried your link also and it said something about not having permission to view it. I even went into facebook and tried and still no luck.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2012 10:20 PM

This is SO much fun! Scubabaker~~Your progression is AWESOME!
Nanapona, last weekend's wedding cake is amazing and gorgeous!
Both of you are about the same timeline as me (2-4 years), and your talents are AMAZING.
Trecur~~We've all loved seeing your cakes and techniques improve with each project. The Christmas Cake is beautiful. Makes me want to dive into the screen and start eating! You should start taking your photographs with a clean background so you can begin your portfolio.
Cake~~I love seeing your old cakes. They look just like the ones from the Wilton yearbooks from 19-longtimeago.

Hey, Becamico! Get us the link that works!

Report Violation

Bottom

divajai
Posted: Thursday September 13, 2012 12:21 AM

Report Violation

Bottom

divajai
Posted: Thursday September 13, 2012 1:21 AM

For some reason I can't attach pics :( Can anyone tell me what I could be doing wrong? I have never attached pics unless I started the topic.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday September 13, 2012 7:02 AM
View users profile

You do it the same way, but you can't use the Quick Reply. You have to use the Reply button on the bottom right side of the previous post.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Thursday September 13, 2012 8:20 AM

When you click on REPLY, just below the box where you type your message is a link that says "Attach a file to this message".....click on that and then you can browse for your filename.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: