skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Question about ice cream scoop/disher for cupcakes.
Created On Wednesday June 27, 2012 6:40 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Julie_S
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 6:40 PM

Hi All,

I just bought an ice cream scooper but have not used it yet. It's been a while since I made any cupcakes.

I got a size 12 (the number means that that is how many scoops it would take to fill a quart, I believe). Anyway, I went by the advice of the Cupcake Doctor where she says in her book that if you want a good size cupcake, to fill the pan about 3/4 of the way full which is around 1/3 of a cup of batter.

The number 12 scoop does hold exactly 1/3 cup or 2.66 fluid ounces. That's using water as a medium for measure. This is about 5 tablespoons.

I've read other posts here where the person says that use scoops much smaller than the # 12 - like ones that hold 2 or 3 tablespoons of batter. I'm thinking my scoop might be too big. Actually I've never scooped cupcake batter before with a scoop so I don't have the experience. I was thinking that as I scoop from out of the bowl and drop it into each cup, not all of it would make it to the cup. Wouldn't there be some left sticking on the ice cream scoop? I mean, it would not all run off like water would, right?
If that's the case, then I wouldn't get a full scoop of batter anyway.
I guess I should just try it.
What do you think? Number 12 too big?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 9:17 PM

I spray my scoop with veg. spray oil. This helps to release the batter from the scoop. I haven't paid too close attention to the size I use, but I love this technique!

How do you wish your cupcakes to look when they are done? Meaning some like them flat while others like the full dome top. That too will determine the amount of batter you use.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Thursday June 28, 2012 11:06 AM
View users profile

I always use my 1/4 c. measuring cup or a med. size ice cream scoop when making cupcakes. I believe the scoop is about 1/4 c. and it's just the right amount of batter for a regular size cupcake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Thursday June 28, 2012 3:06 PM
View users profile

I just googled (as everyone knows I forget how many cups are in a quart), and it's 4 cups to one quart. So if what you say is true about the number being how many scoops it takes to fill a quart, then your scoop should equal 1/3 cup.

Also, depending on your elevation, you may or may not want to fill your cupcake liner as full. I only fill mine to 1/2 full, as I'm at an elevation of just under 4800 feet.

Don't worry if a bit of batter remains when you activate the little arm thingy that scoops out your batter. It isn't enough to lose any sleep over.

The only way you are going to know how your like your cupcakes is to try out your scoop and other methods, like Emmer_d talks about.

I actually have 3 different scoop sizes, and I go back and forth with them, depending if I want a flat cupcake or a rounded cupcake.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: