skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Can I put a buttercream cake with fondant decor in the refrigerator?
Created On Tuesday June 26, 2012 9:34 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Mickeebabe
Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2012 9:34 PM

I have a cake due on a Sunday morning. The cake will be covered in buttercream with fondant decorations on the sides. It'll be a two tiered zebra print cake. My question is, since it's due early in the morning, can the cake be stored in the refrigerator over night? Fully decorated?

Thanks for the help.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2012 9:38 PM
View users profile

Is the filling perishable? If it isn't, you don't need to put it in the fridge. But if it is, or for whatever reason you simply choose to, yes, you can refrigerate it. Just don't touch it when it comes out of the fridge until ALL condensation has completely evaporated, especially the fondant. The fondant will smudge and you won't be able to fix it.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazy25
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 12:10 PM

I would put it in the fridge. I refrigerate all my cakes, fondant, buttercream or combo and they are fine! I have never had any problems, as long as I do as cakedujour says, and not touch it.

HTH!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mickeebabe
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 4:13 PM

Thank you. I was worried since it's black fondant decorations and I don't want anything to happen to them in the refrigerator. But I'll make sure I don't touch them. I'm making the buttercream with half butter and half shortening and my house gets pretty warm so I figured I better refrigerate it to be on the safe side.

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 5:00 PM

I am in your exact same predicament. My zebra cake is due for Friday and it is 102* today, 98* for tomorrow which is when I am going to bake, and 97* for Friday when I have to decorate. ARGH!!!

If she wouldn't be paying me double what I normally charge I wouldn't be doing this. I told her I shut down business in the summer and she said, "how does double sound?" UM?????? DANG! Double DANG! Going to make my high heat BC and hope for the best.

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Mickeebabe
Posted: Wednesday June 27, 2012 5:59 PM

I think I might also have to make your high heat buttercream. It's probably gonna be 100 degrees plus the week the cake is due. I will not have a perishable filling in it so maybe that would be the best bet.

Do you refrigerate a cake with half butter/half shortening buttercream?

Good luck on your cake bunnywoman and I can't wait to see a picture of it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mickeebabe
Posted: Tuesday July 03, 2012 8:42 PM

Do you refrigerate a cake with half butter/half shortening buttercream?

I also forgot to mention that the fondant in the refrigerator will be black. Will that make a difference?

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: