skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: DH cake mix wt reduction: how to doctor? I need help with formula please.
Tater 05/24/2012 8:41 AM
I just purchased my first DH mixes at 16.5 oz size. They are for a cake order this weekend.

Does anyone have a definitive answer about ingredient proportions to doctor this new size cake mix to duplicate what we did with the 18.25 oz mixes?

I've been all over this forum and everyone is ticked off (myself included ) that DH seems to think we are daft enough to believe the 2.20 oz difference will produce the same cake volume / texture. They say it produces the same size cake . . . does that mean they changed the leavening agent? a little more baking powder? A little helium to make it rise? Little mirrors to create the illusion of a full size cake??

But, back to my question -

the 16.5 oz DH cake mix calls for 3 eggs, 1 c water and 1/3 c oil.

I can see adding the pudding mix, 1 more egg, doubling the oil as we did with the old 18.25 oz mixes.
But the with the old mix it called for 1 1/3 c water and we reduced that by 1/3 c to compensate for the extra 1/3 c oil.
If I do that with the new lighter wt mix that has me using only 2/3 c water. Would this be the correct approach?
krzykakes 05/24/2012 1:26 PM
Im totally not sure I dont add too much to my mixes I do substitute the water for milk and it comes out perfect...I just doctor up my frostings...you can add milk and see if that helps
Tater 05/24/2012 1:47 PM

Thank you for the response. I may try the milk but for now I guess I'll just do a test run and see how the cupcakes come out based on what I wrote above. My husband will eat them if they don't pass muster for a customer.
camicake 05/24/2012 1:59 PM
I use, in addition to the ingredients on the box:

1 c. flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
1tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla (or other flavoring)

This has worked great for me and I have not had any problems getting 6 cups of batter out of it every time.
If making a chocolate cake though, I do substitute 1/2 c. flour with 1/2 c. dark cocoa powder. You can add more to taste if you want, but it works good for me!
Good luck!
Tater 05/24/2012 4:50 PM
Thank you. That looks like it could work for me. I had figured that I'd need two mixes for 28 + cupcakes, I hadn't thought of using an extender. Ah. . . the possibilities!
cattitude 05/26/2012 11:06 PM
cattitude 05/26/2012 11:07 PM
No oil Cami?
Tater 05/27/2012 5:08 PM
Okay, I made my cupcakes.

I used the 16.5 oz mix that DH now forces on us. I added the pudding mix, doubled the oil, reduced the water by 1/3 cup (the same amount that I had increased the oil), and added 1 extra egg. They came out the same as usual. My husband said they were great and my customer really liked them too. I used 2 mixes and got 3 dozen cupcakes.
Tater 05/27/2012 5:09 PM
Oh, also, they rose beautifully.