skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: coloring cool whipped frosting?
Created On Thursday May 17, 2012 4:52 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

kaylasouthern
Posted: Thursday May 17, 2012 4:52 PM

is it possible to color cool whipped frosting? i've never made it before so i know nothing about it, i want to try it on a cake but i'm not sure about coloring the frosting.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Thursday May 17, 2012 5:21 PM
View users profile

Hmm, I'd be concerned about it turning to a watery mess if you use a liquid coloring. Maybe some powdered unsweetened kool aid? Cool Whip is cheap enough that if it totally messes out, you're not out too much money.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Friday May 18, 2012 1:37 PM

Are you making it from real whipping cream and then adding instant pudding?

Or are you using straight Cool Whip from a bowl kind of icing?

I'm wondering if you could just add some Wilton or Americolor gel to the liquid whipping cream and let the mixer do it's thing? When you stir in the pudding and milk, it will lighten a little I would imagine so take that into consideration with your starting color.

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Friday May 18, 2012 1:44 PM

I have colored real whipped cream icing with gel colors and I did not like the results. I did get it colored but it was very light and seemed a little blotchy. I would definitely just do BC, RI or fondant accents to color up a whipped icing cake instead of actually coloring the icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday May 18, 2012 7:46 PM

Adding liquids to Cool Whip will deflate the icing. The more you stir it around also makes it deflate somewhat so be wise to those facts.

Report Violation

Bottom

kaylasouthern
Posted: Saturday May 19, 2012 1:02 PM

that's what i though, but i use the wilton icing color and i thought it would be runny. thanks for the kool-aid tip!! never thought of that and may add a different flavor.

Report Violation

Bottom

kaylasouthern
Posted: Saturday May 19, 2012 1:05 PM

i have a recipe i got from online that uses cool whip and vanilla pudding in it. what i'm doing is my first filling cake and i'm doing strawberry filling and thought the cool whipped frosting would taste better than buttercream or anything else. i just don't like to do plain cakes!! LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Saturday May 19, 2012 4:00 PM

I always use Rich's Bettercream when I am wanting to get the flavor and texture of whipped cream. To me and everyone who has tried it on my cakes, says it tastes just like cool whip. Also, the cake does not require refrigeration unless it has a perishable filling in it. You can color it but it will not turn dark colors...mostly like pastels.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: