skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Pastry Pride question
Created On Monday May 14, 2012 4:26 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

furball
Posted: Monday May 14, 2012 4:26 PM
View users profile

I just bought some Pastry Pride at Smart & Final. I thought the carton would be frozen but it isn't. Does anyone have any tips on this stuff? Also, can I put it on an ice cream cake? My 26 year old doesn't like cake. If it doesn't work, what can I ice it with? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday May 14, 2012 4:55 PM

Here's the link to a PDF created by a friend of mine who owns a local cake specialty shop. She is VERY experienced and created this document for her customers who purchase Pastry Pride:

http://www.doitwithicing.com/PASTRY_PRIDE_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

The carton you purchased at Smart & Final SHOULD have been frozen! Frozen PP has a shelf life of 1 year. ONCE THAWED, PASTRY PRIDE KEEPS FRESH 3 WEEKS IN REFRIGERATOR.

Here's another product description link:

http://www.profileshowcase.com/Product/DEFAULT/000435/11887?PRINT=Y

-----------------------

You should be able to "frost" ice cream just fine with Pastry Pride. (Sounds good! I just may try it myself!)
Since you can freeze cakes frosted with Pastry Pride, there should be no problems.

PP will only produce pastel colors when using Wilton or Americolor gels. You cannot get colors like red, navy blue, etc. Do not put any fondant decorations on Pastry Pride, they will turn into a sticky, gooey mess that bleeds color. You can produce basic "buttercream-type" decorations like borders, roses, leaves, shells, rosettes, etc., but you may have to have a bowl of ice water and a towel nearby to cool down your hands while working with the piping bag or you will melt the PP in the piping bag. Keep all PP not in a piping bag in the fridge to keep it chilled.

Refrigerate or freeze all "cakes" made with PP after decorating. Do not leave on the counter at room temperature for more than 2 hours for best results.

You can mix a box of dry pudding into the LIQUID PP before whipping for a different taste/texture. You can also incorporate lemon or orange zest into the whipped PP, or whip some emulsion/flavorings into the whipped PP. I recently mixed about 50/50 lemon sleeve filling with whipped icing for a filling.

Report Violation

Bottom

newbakermom
Posted: Monday May 14, 2012 6:29 PM

I've been using PP since I started decorating and not really anything else, but I'm sorry I'm not much help. I still have issues with it melting in the bag and I've tried lots of different things for that not to happen but it still happens occasionally. The funny thing is that certain colors get more watery than others.....I have no idea why that happens. But I still manage to work with it.

I too would love some tips with working with PP, since that's the only thing I use. I really haven't seen much people in this forum that use it, but if there's anyone who does, hopefully wouldn't mind sharing some secrets in detail, lol. Any tutorials? I'm really the type of person that needs to see to learn and everything explained in detail, lol.

Furball, if you figure out how to work with this, I would appreciate if you would share how it worked for you.....because all your work from your other cakes are awesome!

Whoknew?~~~What do you mean to not leave the cake out for more than two hours, room temperature for best results? I usually do put my cakes in the refrigerator (eventhough PP does not need to be refrigerated), but the other day I had no room to put one of my cakes in and it looked fine to me. It stayed out all night. Maybe you're suggesting in high heat....? Maybe your friend could give us some tips, lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Monday May 14, 2012 7:39 PM
View users profile

I just made an ice cream cake yesterday, frosted with Party Pride and it was great. You also can frost it with ice cream that has been softened and stirred up like the consistency of Dairy Queen. We frosted Baskin Robbin cakes with ice cream when I worked there many years ago and use Bettercream whipped (which is like Party Pride) for the borders etc.

Report Violation

Bottom

furball
Posted: Monday May 14, 2012 10:10 PM
View users profile

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm glad you told me about the fondant decos. I was going to put a Yankees emblem on it. I'll just have to glue it to lollipop sticks. Can you do a few buttercream decorations? Whoknew, thanks for the links. I put them in my favorites! Newbakermom, thanks for the compliment! That makes me feel good! You all are so great! Cakes06, I'm so glad I can ice the cake with that. Good to know I can use ice cream too. I think I have the only kid (he's 26) that doesn't like cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday May 14, 2012 10:26 PM

Many of the "old school" decorators have used Pastry Pride (or similar products called Frostin' Pride or Rich's Bettercreme) extensively. Sources for more information:

Google: Pastry Pride (then Frostin' Pride), (then Bettercreme)

Go to CakeCentral.com and do a search in the Gallery of photos for the same terms listed above

Go to Youtube and search "whipped cream cake", and the terms listed above

You may wish to create a new thread on the Wilton forum OR the Cake Decorating Forum of CakeCentral.com asking about using Pastry Pride. [Be SPECIFIC with your title! Don't just say, Help!! or Pastry Pride. Example: Need Tips from experienced decoraters using Pastry Pride]

My biggest single suggestion? Buy it, try it, see what you can and cannot do with it.

NewBakerMom~~"issues with it melting in the bag and I've tried lots of different things for that not to happen but it still happens occasionally."
You are probably using too much at one time in a piping bag. Fill a 12" bag no more than 2/3rds full. Fill a gallon baggie with ice and put it between two towels to keep the chill "in". Lay your piping bag on the chilled surface. Keep the rest in the fridge until you need to refill your bag.

"The funny thing is that certain colors get more watery than others...."
You are probably putting too much color into the whipped topping. PP will NOT make deep colors, only pastels.

Like any cake decorating "product" or recipe, you have to practice. Speed is essential if you want to make PP roses or flowers or leaves. If your skill level isn't at "top speed" yet, you probably won't be able to make it work well. (It still takes me quite a while to do a buttercream rose and I know I wouldn't be fast enough to make a bunch out of PP.)

Read the information in the links above about refrigeration, leaving at room temperature, etc.

You CAN leave out on the counter, but for best results, refrigerate.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Tuesday May 15, 2012 1:08 AM
View users profile

furball: At Baskin Robbins, we used buttercream all the time for the borders and flowers or whatever. You just have to make sure your cake is really hard frozen first and work quickly or the frosting will slide off.

Report Violation

Bottom

newbakermom
Posted: Tuesday May 15, 2012 10:28 AM

Whoknew?, I will try your suggestions for next time. Thanks for being patient with me and my PP issues,lol. I think I just need someone to teach me in person, do you want to come and teach me?, lol...jk. I think you are totally right why my icing gets watery for certain colors......oops.....I do add a little too much to get a little darker colors.....I can't help to make them darker, hehehe.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday May 15, 2012 5:53 PM

I don't have to be there with you, I'm magic and can see what you are doing from here.

--------------

Like any of the sugar materials we work with: buttercream, Pastry Pride, fondant, gum paste, royal icing, etc., each thing is good for certain applications, but not others.

Pastry Pride, in my opinion, is the best tasting frosting. However, it really limits what you can do to decorate a cake. If your goal is fabulous taste, then use Pastry Pride. If your goal is a 4 tier topsy turvy with 87 gum paste flowers and mermaids and dragonflies, Pastry Pride ain't gonna work.

(I'm still coming to grips with the hours/days/weeks/months it takes to create fabulous gum paste and fondant flowers, figures, decorations, only to have the cake recipients take them all off and then peel off the fondant because they "don't like it". Too freakin' weird...... )

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: