skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Rose Cake made with Pastry Pride (whipped cream)
Created On Monday April 30, 2012 7:16 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday May 02, 2012 8:09 PM

cakediva~~I did not use any buttercream, only Pastry Pride. I did a crumb coat, then covered with the roses. You must do a crumb coat or the cake will show through any gaps when you apply the roses. Can't wait to see pics of YOUR cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakediva wannabe
Posted: Wednesday May 02, 2012 9:32 PM
View users profile

WOW, so you can crumb coat with Bettercream?? I did not know that! I will try a practice cake this weekend and let you know how it turns out! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

pasteles de inglaterra
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 8:26 AM

Looks wonderful, thanks for all the great tips

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 12:30 PM
View users profile

That's a pretty cake. I would make one for our bday party but won't be here (going to CFF). Want to make one at my next opportunity.

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 12:52 PM

never used pastry pride before.. how does it taste?? Is there a benefit to use it over buttercream (besides somehting different ) heheh

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 1:18 PM

looks great. cakediva, bettercream/ pastry pride taste like that boxed non-dairy topping.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 1:56 PM

teenykat~~It tastes FABULOUS! It is a non-dairy stabilized whipped cream frosting. (You cannot tell it is non-dairy.) Versions of this are used around the world to make whipped cream cakes and pastries.

It tastes light and fluffy and whipped-creamy and is much less sugary than buttercream. It leaves a light airy texture vs. the creamy/thick texture of buttercream. The benefit to using Pastry Pride/Rich's Bettercreme/Frostin' Pride, IS the taste/texture!

There is a bakery in town about 20 miles from my home. It is called Grove Pastry Shop. 30 years ago somebody brought one of their signature cakes into the hospital where I worked. It was one of the the most amazing taste experiences I'd ever had. For the next 20 years, everybody DEMANDED that the only cakes brought for parties had to be THAT cake from THAT bakery.

That particular cake is STILL voted as one of the top cakes in San Diego nearly every year. Here's the description from their website:

"Our famous Whip Cream Cake – continues to bring generation after generation back to our cozy and friendly bakery. This wonderful Scandinavian tradition is made up of three layers of spongecake filled with; Bavarian Cream, Vanilla Custard, Gourmet Raspberry and a layer of whipped cream."

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 2:11 PM

sounds super yummy!!! Can I order it online... I will have to google to see where to get it.. thanks again

Report Violation

Bottom

FijiGirl
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 3:59 PM

Ok, maybe a dumb question but where do you buy Pastry Pride frosting? I've never seen it before and would definitely like to try it.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 5:18 PM

(FijiGirl--there are NO dumb questions on this forum.) You can purchase at Smart & Final (West Coast chain of stores), or specialty supply cake stores. This product may be called: Pastry Pride, Frostin' Pride, Rich's Bettercreme. You might be able to purchase at Sam's Club. It is found in the freezer section, so I don't think it can be shipped to a home address. It also comes in a chocolate flavor, but I haven't tried that.

Many people who have decorated cakes for 20-30 years have used Pastry Pride a LOT. Some decorators have used it almost exclusively. You are more limited with the type of decorations, but until the "fondant" craze, nobody cared because it tastes so darn good! It is possible to do scroll work, roses, flowers, etc., but you have to work fast. Fondant decorations do NOT go well with PP! They will melt into the whipped cream, bleed, and look awful. If you can do buttercream, you can do PP.
Here's a couple of photos from CakeCentral.com:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2213572/pastry-pride-petals-and-rosettes
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/25395/pastry-pride-with-fresh-daisies
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1419397/my-fourth-wedding-cake
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1873777/pink-purple-roses

Report Violation

Bottom

FijiGirl
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 5:44 PM

Thank you - will definitely try this.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 7:44 PM
View users profile

Christina, would you say that Pastry Pride tastes like Cool Whip? Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 8:41 PM
View users profile

You're a Rock Star This is a cool cake using the Pastry Pride, sugar sheets and gumpaste/fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday May 03, 2012 9:31 PM

Spooky~~No, it doesn't taste like Cool Whip. It tastes like real whipped cream that has been sweetened. (Granted, a purist foodie could tell the difference, but if you try and use REAL whipped cream on a cake, you're looking at all sorts of potential problems: going bad, becoming runny, separating, not holding a design, etc.)

The cake you showed had a description: "6" 8" 10" rounds all frosted in Pastry Pride. Stripes are Wiltons sugar sheets, stars and guitar are gumpaste. chocolate candies and gumballs were also used."

The baker probably put the decorations on at the last possible moment, then slapped that sucker in the fridge.
Gumpaste decos (vs. fondant) may hold up better, but I have personal experience with red fondant on Pastry Pride and it was UGLY! The colors bled, the fondant got kinda sticky and looked like red snot. Ewwwww.....

On the Rock Star Cake, the Pastry Pride was colored to be violet and light blue. That's probably as dark as you are going to be able to get most Pastry Pride. It doesn't take coloring as well as buttercream, and you're probably not going to get anything but pastels.

I've never touched a Wilton Sugar Sheet. Have no idea how it would work with Pastry Pride.

If that cake had white Pastry Pride, I'm sure that all the gumballs and other decorations would start "color bleed" into the white pretty quickly.
---------------
There are other bakers on this forum that have used Pastry Pride a LOT. Sugar Pie is one of them. She's a master at Pastry Pride. Perhaps you could start a separate thread to talk about Pastry Pride and ask other experienced decorators to chime in.

Report Violation

Bottom

EJL2013
Posted: Tuesday April 16, 2013 10:58 AM

This cake is beautiful! Thanks so much for posting this about Pastry Pride. Did you stabalize it to use? Thanks so much in advance!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday April 16, 2013 12:55 PM

EJL2013~~Thank you for the compliment and welcome to the forum! Pastry Pride does NOT need to be stabilized. It is a non-dairy product that is already stabilized.

Defrost the container of liquid overnight in the refrigerator.
Whip for about 8-10 minutes on medium speed using wisk attachment, until it holds stiff peaks. (No need to "overwhip".)

You're ready to go.

Once you've made it two or three times, you'll have a real good idea of how it works on your cakes.

Report Violation

Bottom

akajan
Posted: Tuesday April 16, 2013 2:19 PM
View users profile

I love this type of design. I also want to make one. You did a beautiful job. Don't be so hard on yourself. But I know what you mean, wanting to have it just so.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Tuesday April 16, 2013 3:20 PM

Christina~ What a lovely cake!! I'm wondering if you've done another Rose cake since this first one. I did one as an emergency B-day cake last Fall. My sister was visiting and she watched the whole process from torting to getting it out the door in about 20 mins!!! Like you, I would take more time if doing it again but the receiver was thrilled to get it. It was one of the few times I had some Mock Shack on hand luckily so that helped a lot with the time crunch. I would LOVE to try it with Pastry Pride too! Would not have thought that would hold up well for a Rose cake.

Have to say I really like the chocolate Rich's Bettercreme!! It's the only flavor I can buy of that brand but I keep it in my freezer all the time now with several cartons of PP too! I love working with it but haven't done any piping with either the Rich's or PP, so I'll try it the next time I whip some up!!

Lovely, lovely cake...... I'm glad EJL2013 bumped this thread up with their comment!!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday April 16, 2013 6:53 PM

Thank you, Akajan and Aunt Tilly. Yes, I've done more rose cakes and I love this design. Everybody thinks you spent hours and hours on the decoration, and yet it is the quickest thing out there and super easy.

There are several more Rose cakes in the "Cakes" album on my shutterfly account:
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/
(click on Pictures and Videos, then choose the album named "Cakes". The album thumbnails are on 3 different pages, or you can view as a slideshow.

Report Violation

Bottom

chuckylynn
Posted: Tuesday July 02, 2013 3:25 PM
View users profile

I have made cakes for 36 years. And the last 15 years I have used Pastry Pride. Love the stuff and I use fondant on Pastry pride all the time with out much problem. The only problem I have run into is if I put the cake in a fridge that has a lot humid an moister the fondant can turn into puddles . But I found out this will happen on fondant cake as well. so it does not matter that it is pastry pride. Happens to any fondant no matter what the frosting. When using fondant decor on pastry pride Because the decorations can be heavier then the frosting I have to secure them on cake sides with tooth picks, and I all ways add them when setting up the cake for the event.
I love it it is so versatile, can be used in fillings to make great tasting filling .
It has only 2gr of sugar per serving and half the fat of butter cream. ( this is only on the Pastry Pride not the Frosting pride or other products which or much higher) My diabetic children can eat it. And my family who or lactose intolerant can have it as well. It won't cause carpel tunnel syndrome like dec with butter cream can cause.
I have never found a person who hates it! Everyone loves the taste! I get lots complements on the taste of my cakes. And I hardly ever see anyone scrape off the frosting and not eat Like you do with butter cream and fondant . Fondant is wonderful and very creative. But taste is awful!

The problems with pastry pride is you can not over whip it our it gets to airy an bubbly and won't spread very well and won't look smooth. if its sets at warm room temp to long it will do the same and trying to decorate with it it wont look as nice. SO you need to be just between a soft meringue and a stiff one. and the moment it just loses that real glossy look. I beat it slow on about 4 to 6 on my Kitchen aid. I also alternate bowels back an forth from the fridge, and keep plastic wrap on the bowel. And if it does start to get to airy you can stir or mix some more liquid pastry pride into it to soften it backup. I don't let the decorating tubes set out when I am not using them.

It is real hard to get deep dark colors with it, and red will fade real fast to pink when exposed to direct light or sun even in the car. I will use other kinds of decor candy's, fondant , or Wilton spray of air spray for real dark colors.

My biggest problem right now is getting it. I used to live ion the west coast and not hard to find out there, I used to buy it at cash and carry ( only on the west coast) and some decorating supply stores had it.
I moved to Iowa 3 years ago and I have had the hardest time trying to get it. last time my daughter came to vist she brought me some. But I still can't find it out here. The only thing I can find here an do use when i need to is AT Sams club I can buy something kind of like it all ready whipped up in a 5 gallon bucket from the bakery. But I still prefer to use Pastry pride I like the taste and I can do more with it. and there is no liquid to soften it if it gets to airy and i can't whip it to my preferences . If any body can give me any idea were I can get it in eastern Iowa or western Ill I would be very grateful! or even A number for the company!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: