skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Freezing Cakes?
Created On Tuesday April 17, 2012 10:27 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HebberD
Posted: Tuesday April 17, 2012 10:27 PM

Someone told me today that if you freeze your cakes, then take them out and frost them that they are much easier to frost and will have less crumbing. I have always crumb coated my cakes and let it set, then put my final layer of frosting on. Does anyone else freeze their cakes before frosting them? If I do freeze and then frost, how long will the cake need to sit before it is thawed enough to eat. And... will freezing them change the moisture of my cake?

Ok, enough questions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Report Violation

Bottom

HebberD
Posted: Tuesday April 17, 2012 10:29 PM

One more question...if you do freeze the cakes....what is your method of wrapping them?

Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Tuesday April 17, 2012 10:39 PM
View users profile

I haven't frozen one YET but have read the same as you. My Wilton instructor swore by freezing. She said she wrapped the cake in 2 layers of plastic wrap and one of foil. They say they are good for months in the freezer. They take them out and work on them still frozen. You shouldn't freeze fondant covered cakes but you can buttercream. If you freeze a decorated cake take it out an hour or two before serving. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

JoyceD
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 8:31 AM
View users profile

I freeze all my cakes that I plan on carving, definitely makes it easier to shape and it cuts down on crumbs. I haven't had a cake yet change in taste or texture after freezing. I put the cake on its cake board, triple wrap in saran wrap, then foil. Cakes can stay in the freezer for months wrapped this way, though I only do mine for days. I suggest putting a BC crumb coat on first before freezing. It helps to lock in the moistness of your cake. Depending on the size of your cake, determines the time needed for defrost. Obviously a 6" round wouldn't need nearly as much time to defrost as say a 16" round. A smaller cake could take as little as a few hours to come to room temperature.

Hope this helps you.

Report Violation

Bottom

greatcakes4u
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 9:31 AM

I freeze every one of my cakes unless it is a last minute order. I love how it makes a tighter crumb and retains its just baked freshness. I wrap my layers with cling wrap making sure to close all the ends well. When I store them I put them into a clean trash bag into the freezer, I don't put them on cake boards as I think they pick up the cardboard taste. You can freeze cakes with fondant on them by putting them into the freezer an a box and wrapping the box well in cling wrap. I let fondant cakes thaw out in the refrigerator and when I take them out to the room I do not touch them as they are sticky, however the moisture will evaporate and then you will be able to continue on with decorating.
I hope this has helped you.

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 1:00 PM

I freeze cakes quite often. The first one I ever froze was my sister's wedding cake, and it came out just perfectly.

I place each tier either on the separator plate that it's going to be stacked on, or else just by itself. I wrap each tier several times with plastic wrap, then several times with tin foil, then each one goes into a separate plastic shopping bag. The ones that aren't already on a plate are frozen on top of one or on top of a cookie sheet.

I have both crumb coated first and not crumb coated first, depending on if I even have frosting made up at that time, and if it's the correct flavor I'll end up using.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 8:29 PM

In my experience freezing the unfrosted layers doesn't change the texture or taste except to make it more moist and fresh tasting.

Large frozen layers that you crumbcoat take a good while to thaw and dry.........several hrs. for sure. I sometimes let them sit out overnight. Then I apply the final frosting and decorations. The cake is then ready to eat!!

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 10:03 PM
View users profile

Some people don't even feel you need to wrap a cake if you're freezing for less than a week. I always freeze my cakes, usually only wrapped in a single layer of plastic wrap. I fill and ice my cakes frozen, then put them in the fridge, usually overnight, before doing a finally coat and decorate. Hope that helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 10:44 PM
View users profile

Cakes freeze great, no loss of moisture, some claim they are more moist after freezing. I am with gmoakes01 and just cover with a single layer of saran wrap or a zip lock. Some Wilton regulars did an experiment a while back and found they could freeze cakes with NO covering and they thawed just fine. So I just do the single layer to just keep them "clean". Think about the frozen foods in the grocery store. Pies, cakes, etc are often just in a box. At most a layer of plastic and a box. And heaven knows how long they sit around. I think my cakes can handle a few days or weeks in a single layer. But as you have read through the thread you can do it just about any way and they will be fine. Freeze away.

Report Violation

Bottom

Linsey
Posted: Thursday April 19, 2012 7:57 AM
View users profile

I freeze my cakes up to 2 weeks uncovered and I'm always told, how moist they are.

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Thursday April 19, 2012 12:17 PM

I cover my cakes so extremely well because I don't have just cakes in my freezer. I have meats and breads and microwave dinners, etc, and don't want any cross-over smells.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: