skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Boxed Carrot cake or spice cake??
Created On Thursday April 05, 2012 8:32 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Laura Kennedy
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 8:32 AM

Has anyone used these before. Meaning boxed Carrot or spice cakes? From Betty crocker or any other cake mix company. What are they like do I dare use them?

Report Violation

Bottom

kimber300
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 8:48 AM
View users profile

I have used the spice cake mix. I think it is good. Bakes really nice. I have never tried the carrot one.

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 10:18 AM

I've used both a lot and they are great.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mbranko24
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 10:51 AM

I have used DH Spice cake and LOVE IT! I used it in the WASC recipe. Very Good. With Kathy F's Cream Cheese Frosting.

Yum.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 10:56 AM

I've used them both. I really like the Duncan Hines Spice Cake the best, but I have also used Betty Crocker. It's pretty good as well. I get a lot of request for it in the fall.
A lot of my customers really like the Spice cake. I've also used the Spice mix with the addition of a yellow mix, carrots, crushed pineapple and nuts to make a carrot cake when the carrot mix was unavailable. Using the Spice mix for a carrot cake was ok, but a little too spicey for me.
I use the Betty Crocker Carrot Cake mix, but I always doctor it up with the addition of crushed pineapple, carrots and nuts. It makes a pretty good carrot cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 11:21 AM
View users profile

I've used them both several times and they're great.

In fact, I plan to pick up a box of carrot cake for this weekend.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mikel79
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 11:56 AM

Mmmmmmmm.... Spice Cake.......

So good it will make you want to slap somebody!!!!

DH is the go to for me...

HTH

Michael

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 12:09 PM
View users profile

I use them all the time, especially Betty Crocker. I just had a cake tasting the other day and they loved it. I usually jazz up the carrot cake by using pineapple juice for the liquid and adding more shredded carrots. I've had people tell me that the spice cake is the best they've ever had.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday April 05, 2012 7:21 PM

I do what Sugar Pie does. I don't slap somebody like Mikel79 does. (Although the spice cake IS really good!)

Report Violation

Bottom

Laura Kennedy
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 7:05 AM

I sound dumb, but could you please give me more details as to how you do this? Like the exact amount (recipe) that you do. I am not a good one for just throwing stuff in. Thanks. This will be for a wedding sheet cake. THANKS everyone for your help.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 8:51 AM
View users profile

Here are a few different carrot cake recipes I found after a quick google search:

Taste of Homes Carrot Cake from the Cake Doctor

JeanneG's Carrot Cake Recipe

Pumpkin Spice Cake

Basic Buttermilk Spice Cake Recipe

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 10:32 AM
View users profile

I'm not sure who you're directing this question to, but if you're doing a sheet cake and using a 12 x 18 pan, it would take 3 cake mixes. For the carrot cake, just drain a can of crushed pineapple which should get you about a cup of juice and then add water to make the liquid you'll need for the 3 boxes. Add your eggs and oil like on the box and blend all of that up first. Then add the drained pineapple, finely shredded carrots (about a cup) and you can add chopped nuts if you prefer (some people like raisons too). Blend all that in with a spoon. Bake at 325 and for that size cake, probably at least 50min.

If your pan is an 11 x 15, you'll have batter left over so just make some cupcakes or a smaller cake to use at home or put in the freezer for future use.

Report Violation

Bottom

Vakbuyer
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 2:16 PM

i use the Cake Doctor's carrot cake recipe with the boxed DH spice cake mix. This has gotten me the best reviews from my customers. I experimented with the DH Classic carrot cake mix and didn't get great results using the C Dr. recipe.

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 2:42 PM

I don't like the boxed carrot cake, never had the spice. Cakes06, they have carrots in the mix now, last time I tried a box carrot cake was probably 20years ago and they had these orange pallets in the mix. I found a recipe doing a search about 9 years ago that I love; I can't find it online anymore. It has pineapple, and coconut added, I usually add raisins and nuts (calorie overkill I know). Cakes06 suggestion is a good one.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 2:46 PM
View users profile

I did a combination of ingredients from the Cake Mix Doctor and the Cake Mix Doctor Returns. I used grated carrots, crushed pineapple, coconut, walnuts, and golden raisins. It was very good. If I recall correctly, it starts with a yellow cake mix as the base, and adds all the needed spices.

Check with your local library, they may have these books in stock and you can check them out for a few weeks and make a few recipes. Then if you decide if you like one or both of the books, you can buy them.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday April 07, 2012 6:30 PM

Carrot Cake

1 (18.5 ounce) package carrot cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (toasted is better)
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 to 1-1/2 cup grated carrots
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans.
2. In large bowl, blend cake mix, oil, water, undrained pineapple, eggs, and nuts. Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed. Spread batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Original recipe from this site. This original recipe does not include the grated carrots:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cake-iv/Detail.aspx

Wilton thread with more information and carrot cake tips/recipes:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=141809&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: