skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: How to make zebra print fondant
PumpkinMuffin 03/12/2012 11:31 AM
Hi, I have been asked to do a zebra print cake and am trying to think of how to do it. Note that I am a beginner when it comes to applying fondant to a whole cake, but I'm willing to try. Obviously, I can ice the cake in BC and cut out the stripes from fondant. But, I'd like to try to cover it in fondant that has the zebra print. What I am wondering......could I get my white fondand, say half way rolled out and then put cut outs of black fondant on top of it. Then, finish rolling it out, pressing the stripes into and on to the white. What do you think - is this possible? Thanks!
BrayRyMama 03/12/2012 11:50 AM
If you wanted it to be all one piece you may be able to cover the cake in the white fondant and cut out the stripes from black then use the black pieces as a template to cut the area out of the white, then stick the black into the area you cut the white fondant from. Kind of like the stars in this project http://www.wilton.com/idea/Wrapped-in-Glory
Thats my only idea, but I have only been making cakes since last june so I am not an expert by any means. Im sure one of the more experienced people will be along soon with some good advice. Good luck
BrayRyMama 03/12/2012 11:52 AM
But if you didnt mind the raised stripes Id just cover in white and then cut out stripes from black and just put those on.
ladycatisadiva 03/12/2012 11:55 AM
I suggest with being a beginner. Just cover the cake in whatever color you need it to be and just do raised strips over the cake. Easier! You could probably find a youtube video to get better instructons I bet.

JazzAllie 03/12/2012 12:46 PM
they do have sugar sheets in the zebra pattern and they r easy to use.
beckthewreck 03/12/2012 6:54 PM
I've seen the method done that you are talking about on tv, so I know it is possible. However, being a beginner, you may want to practice it before you decide on that method.

But yes, they roll out the white lay the black strips on and roll it thinner (usually in a sheeter).
The_Sweet_Life 03/13/2013 10:26 AM
Actually, you should buy "The MAT" by Sweet Wise. I am taking a Witlon class at Michaels and the teacher suggested it. I just bought 2 sizes in them and they are awesome! They allow you to roll the stripes into the fondant creating what you are talking about so easily! Check out the turorial on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ihYLMLNIVw
cakedujour 03/13/2013 7:16 PM
Welcome to the forum, The_Sweet_Life. Happy to have you here. I think that in the year since this was first posted that PumpkinMuffin probably got her zebra stripes done one way or the other. But you are absolutely right about The Mat. It is an awesome tool. I love mine, and many of us here on the forum use them and wouldn't part with them. In fact, there is another new thread in the Products section singing the praises of The Mat. As you read through the forums, you will learn a whole lot of new things, and about new products. It is a very addicting site!
The_Sweet_Life 03/13/2013 8:06 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out!