skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Freezing fondant covered cake, several questions....
PumpkinMuffin 03/05/2012 5:06 PM
Hi there! Ok, I have a frozen dirty iced three tier 9" round cake. It is due Sat. I'd like to go ahead and try to cover it in fondant (I can do rounds, but this is taller than normal and tapered at bottom).....reason being is because if I fail I'd like to have plenty of time to redo in buttercream. So since the cake is frozen.....can I take out of freezer one night, cover in fondant and pop it back in the freezer? Thanks for the advice!
cakedujour 03/05/2012 6:28 PM
I've seen fondant that has been frozen come out fine as long as it is left wrapped and all condensation was allowed to evaporate before unwrapping. I don't freeze cakes though, and I'm wondering how it would taste if it was frozen, thawed, and refrozen. Maybe someone who does freeze cakes can educate both of us on this topic.
ponyjockey 03/05/2012 7:44 PM
Frozen, thawed and then refrozen cakes taste fine, perhaps slightly moister than a normal cake but nothing noticeable. It will be easier to just keep the cake frozen, do what you need to do on it and then pop it back in the freezer without thawing it. I find that frozen cakes are a lot easier to work with than soft cakes so you will have no problems working with a frozen cake, if you want. You can get pretty "rough" with frozen cakes and they will hold up perfectly. I hope this helps you!
PumpkinMuffin 03/05/2012 7:45 PM
Well another thing I wondered....if I were to do it this way...why thaw it in the middle.....oh, we'll I guess you couldn't get the fondant smooth over frozen buttercream.

Another question....why does Wilton's spell check not recognize the word buttercream? Ha ha....
PumpkinMuffin 03/05/2012 7:47 PM
Thanks pony! I am undecided, but at least I have choices. I may just wait and see how the week plays out.....
ponyjockey 03/05/2012 7:52 PM
Both ways will work and it is always nice to know that if you are running short on time there is a plan B. Make sure to post pics of the cake when it is all done!