skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: 12 inch wilton cake pan
Created On Wednesday February 22, 2012 11:10 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 11:10 AM

I am wondering for the 12 inch wilton cake round pan, how many cake boxes will you need to have it to just about the top when it bakes? Also, How long would you cook a cake that big???

Is there anything online that would give me about of cake and time to bake for bigger cakes???

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

michelle51801
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 11:16 AM

Welcome to the forums!!

Here is a helpful link that tell you how much batter you'd need for any size pans. It will also give you baking times.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

When I bake a cake that big I use a flower nail in the middle of the pan. You would put it flat side down in the middle. You can either pour the batter in first and then stick it in or you can stick it in and then pour the batter. If it moves, just move it back to the center of the pan. You're going to want to spray it with nonstick baking spray so your cake won't stick to it. HTH!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 12:09 PM
View users profile

I'll only add that you need to use a metal flower nail, not a plastic one.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 12:19 PM
View users profile

For a 12" round pan, I'd actually use 2 or 3 metal flower nails to help it cook more evenly.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 1:55 PM

cupcakesbymegan~~Welcome to the forum. Use michelle51801's link to find the amount of batter needed to fill the pan. Then I'd suggest you read and apply the tools/techniques in these two tutorials:

How to Get a Level Cake
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=159442

Bake Even Strips and Flower Nail on larger cakes --Photo tutorial
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

It WILL take longer to bake at 325. I set a timer for 30-35 minutes, then (using a timer!) check at 5-10 minute intervals until the cake pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 3:56 PM

Thank you for the help guys.. My aunt wanted a 12 inch cake for her baby shower and it scared me!! lol

I think it should be okay. I will def try the flower nail and baking strips.
Thanks whoknew? and michelle51801 for the links VERY HELPFULL

Another question... what do the parchment papers in the bottom of your pans do??

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 3:59 PM

also... what is so special about the WASC cake?? I never knew about it until starting to read on it last night.... Does it help hold the cake together better or just taste amazing???

and.... how do you keep you cake from cracking when you are layering?

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2012 4:55 PM
View users profile

cupcakes,
I have used the WASC recipe exclusively and it is one of the best..It tastes amazing and stays together great.

I know that 1 WASC recipe which uses two cake mixes makes 1 -12" and 1-10".

I will be making a 12" next week and plan to use the Bake Even strips, 2 or 3 flower nails and I will put a parchment collar inside the pan along with a circle of Parchment at the bottom. All this combined will give me a full 2" high cake that is cooked through and level.
As far as the cracking issue when you layer your cake. It is important to support the second layer as you put it in place.
If you have difficulty placing the second layer you might want to freeze it for a short time so it is easier to handle..

If the WASC a try and let us know what you think.
Ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Thursday February 23, 2012 11:41 PM

so i tired the lemon WASC recipe. It was SERIOUSLY the most moist cake I have ever had in my life! lol The flavor was so lemony but like nothing I have never had!!! NOW i know why everyone <3 it so much!!!! Thanks guys for directing me towards it!!!!

What are the parchment circle at the bottom of the cake pan for???

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Thursday February 23, 2012 11:55 PM

Parchment is a specially treated paper (treated with silicone) that is able to withstand temperatures up to 450-500 degrees without burning or browning. The other feature of silicone is that nothing will stick to it. Cutting a piece of parchment the exact size of the interior of your pan will assure that no globs of your darling cake will stick to the pan.

Congrats on a fabulous lemon cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Friday February 24, 2012 8:25 PM

thanks so much whoknew

I used the baking strips and flower nails as stated in your topic and my cake came out perfectly!! =]

I am going to post pictures of what I did for the baby shower on Sunday!!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday February 25, 2012 11:31 AM

You're very welcome. Look forward to the pictures.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: