skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: DH new reduced size mixes
Created On Sunday February 12, 2012 9:28 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

5kidsandlovingit
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 9:28 PM
View users profile

I am so aggravated!!! DH went and reduced the size of their mixes just like Betty Crocker!! The only brand left that sells the 18.25 oz size is Pillsbury and I'm sure that won't last. Guess I will have to alter all of my recipes to account for the smaller size.

Report Violation

Bottom

auntpay
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 9:33 PM

I just purchased the yellow and french vanilla mixes and they are 18.25oz size. I am on the east coast. How did you come across this information?

Report Violation

Bottom

5kidsandlovingit
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 9:38 PM
View users profile

At least I am assuming that's what has happened. I was at Walmart getting ready to stock up, picked up a classic white and noticed the box seemed to be a little smaller. I checked the size and it said 16.25 and I nearly freaked out. I checked all of the boxes and most of them had this size printed. They did have some orange and butter mixes left in the 18.25 size but I don't use those so I didn't get any.

Report Violation

Bottom

denetteb
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 10:30 PM
View users profile

Rats, I was sooo hoping they wouldn't follow suit. I had contacted all the big 3 companies, BC to say I wouldn't buy theirs anymore and the DH and Pillsbury to say I would only be buying theirs because of the decrease in BC sizing. Darn.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 10:51 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo....... 5kidsandlovingit~~Are you sure it wasn't a specialty cake mix from DH? Was it their regular mixes like Devil's Food, Yellow, Red Velvet, etc.?

I wrote Duncan Hines saying the same thing as denetteb and they assured me that they would not be reducing their mix sizes.

This is just horrible.....

*&%$#@*!

Report Violation

Bottom

QuebecGirl
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 11:12 PM
View users profile

The ones I bought this week in AZ were 18.25 - I just checked, in case it would explain why my last 2 WASC batches caved in. I guess I will go stock up this week.

Report Violation

Bottom

5kidsandlovingit
Posted: Sunday February 12, 2012 11:56 PM
View users profile

Hopefully you may be right whoknew? I am so hoping that maybe I was looking at some kind of specialty mixes. I am going to call Duncan Hines tomorrow morning and ask them. Will post as soon as I hang up.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 8:02 AM
View users profile

I went onto DH's FB page last night and post if others have seen this and I did get one lady who has. So, I think they are being rolled out.

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 8:24 AM

An 18.25 box wasn't large enough to make good size layers, what are we supposed to do now use 3 boxes to make 2 layers. I don't use box mixes very often but since I know they are going to reduce the size I will stock up on a few.

Report Violation

Bottom

pattieX
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 9:08 AM
View users profile

That really stinks!

Report Violation

Bottom

5kidsandlovingit
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 10:13 AM
View users profile

Ok ladies I just got off the phone with a rep from DH and he said yes, they have reduced their Classic line from 18.25 to 16.5 in an effort to remain "cost competetive". He said only the Classic line but those are the ones I use. He had a long story to tell about the reason they are doing this: to keep from raising their prices. I understand that but I would rather pay a little extra than have the sizes cut!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 11:05 AM

I'm sobbing in my root beer........ WAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thanks for finding out the hideous news, 5kidsandlovingit. Go hug your children.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 11:18 AM

I just posted this information on CakeCentral.com so they can be sad too....

Also, I've sent an email to Anne Byrn, author of the "Cake Mix Doctor" series of books asking about the impact this will have on the recipes in her books. I'll keep you updated on her response.

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 11:19 AM
View users profile

and they went up from $1.24 to $1.50 at my WalMart :(

Report Violation

Bottom

Cake_Crazy
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 11:35 AM

I went to my Publix this morning and sure enough, they have the 16.5 boxes out on the shelves. I had to move them to get to the ones in the back that were still the old 18.5. I am NOT happy about this :(

new boxes:
Photobucket

old boxes:
Photobucket

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 12:11 PM
View users profile

Sorry to hear this about DH..how do you plan to re-adjust your WASC recipe to account for this subtraction of product??
Would appreciate some help in re-doing the proportions.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

DessertDiva82
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 1:34 PM

Blah!!! That makes no sense to me! I don't care what their marketing execs say. I was hoping they would not follow suit, as I just purchased mixes this weekend and they were 18.25. I guess the new ones haven't hit the shelves here yet.

Like you all, I would rather pay a little more (They raised the price anyway!!!) and have the same volume.

Denetteb, I also contacted BC and DH about size. Obviously, they didn't listen :/ And I won't use Pillsbury. For some reason, their mixes just taste funny to me.

Trybaking, I agree!!! I already have to use at least 3 layers to get some decent height on the cake with the 18.25 size. I guess now we will have to do 4 layers and buy two boxes of mix to compensate.

Thank you, Whoknew?, for contacting Anne Byrn. This will affect everything. You should forward your email containing the assurace of no reduction and call them liars, LOL.

Report Violation

Bottom

auntpay
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 3:25 PM

This stinks! They reduce the product and say it's so they can stay 'competitive'. The price for a box of the 18.25 DH classic mixes here have always run higher than BC or Pillsbury. For classic here, I'm paying 1.79 to 1.89 a box (never mind their specialty mixes). No matter how they spin it, we will be paying more for less. I've noticed this repackaging scam with other non caking products too. It has nothing to do with interest in the consumer (their mixes fly off the shelves) , they're looking out for the bottom line. I better start learning scratch baking.....and thank God for the support from everyone here on the forum!

Thanks 5kidsandlovingit for following up and to whoknew? for checking with Anne Byrn (I love her recipes)!

Report Violation

Bottom

newbakermom
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 5:07 PM

Really hate to hear that! I just made my first WASC cake for my dad's birthday and he and everyone else loved it! I always use Betty Crocker, but for this one I didn't want to risk it so I bought DH and thought maybe I would stick to DH from now on. So disappointed to have to change again! Hopefully there will be solutions as to using these smaller cake boxes now for the WASC recipe and any other doctored recipes.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday February 13, 2012 5:20 PM
View users profile

If you use an extender to add to your cake mix (regardless of brand) and the collaring method, you will get a nice high cake layer. Try Bunnywoman's extender with flour, sugar, egg, water, etc (there's more ingredients). This will make one box mix like one and a half mixes.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: