skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Using Wilton's new Cake Marker to achieve level, torted cakes!
whoknew? 09/19/2011 12:17 AM
I have struggled with getting a level tort on my cakes since beginning cake decorating in Feb 2010. I have used the small Wilton leveler with success on 6"and 8" cakes. I have even used it on a few 10" cakes with less success, but still better than me "eyeballing" the cut. If I try to cut with a knife, I ALWAYS end up with one side way higher than the other side. I NEVER got a straight, horizontal cut. The reviews on the Large Wilton Leveler are horrible, so that was not an option for larger cakes. The Agbay is fabulous, but is $230 with shipping.

cami5271 posted a thread, "LOVING Wilton's New Cake Marker Tool!" and I immediately saw that I could combine this tool AND the "lock your arm" knife-tort technique on the Sweetwise Inc. video (first 4 minutes of the video): "How to Level Tort and Fill a Cake":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oLhbNjMNWM

I purchased the Cake Marker, and used my 12" Winco serrated bread knife, an IKEA wooden lazy susan turntable, and 14x20 Wilton cookie sheet (my cake lifter for the large torted layers) --total cost for all 4 tools: $35

This weekend I made my largest cake project to date. 14", 12", 10", 8". I took photos using the cake marker to create a level "score" around the circumference of each cake. Then used my knife in the "lock arm" position to tort each cake following the "guide" of the cake marker line, then used the cookie sheet to lift the torted layer. Made a super-stiff buttercream dam and put in a full 1/4" of filling, then slid the piece off the cookie sheet back onto the cake.

Here are photos of a very moist, 10" lemon poppyseed cake with LOTS of crumbs. (I was taking the pics with my left hand so didn't dare try it on the bigger cakes!) Look at the beautiful result.
trybaking06 09/19/2011 12:19 PM
this is a great tip. You give so much detail, this is a must try for me
whoknew? 09/19/2011 1:20 PM
trybaking06--You cannot believe how enormously relieved and pleased I was to have 2 huge cakes (14", 12") that I was able to tort with 1" of cake, 1/4" filling, 1" cake, 1/4" filling for a super-yummy 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. I wish I could have taken pics of the cut cakes, but I was cutting and serving about 160 people, so picture taking was kinda out of the question! The chocolate with chocolate buttercream looked perfect when sliced. The fact that it worked just as well with soft, moist, crumbly cakes that fall apart when you look at them was the clincher!
Chasey 09/19/2011 2:39 PM
Christina, you are an awesome teacher! You should consider becoming an instructor.

Thanks for taking the time to post thorough walk throughs, pics, links, etc. Very helpful indeed!

P.S. Post your recipe. That looks divine.
whoknew? 09/19/2011 9:08 PM
Well, thank you very much, Chasey! Here's the lemon poppyseed recipe. I got it online, but my computer isn't cooperating right now, so can't give the credit to the original site. It is a doctored Duncan Hines mix and I got multiple rave reviews.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
1 box Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix
4 oz. box lemon instant pudding
1-1/3 cups water
4 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
whoknew? 09/19/2011 10:01 PM
Chasey--Apologies. I forgot to change the recipe above to say 1-1/3 cups LEMONADE (NOT water).
Chasey 09/20/2011 7:01 AM
Thank you! My MIL prefers "lighter" cakes with more of a whipped cream frosting so I'll give this one a try and see if lemon falls in that category.
trybaking06 12/17/2011 4:03 PM
bump.. bump.. bump
trybaking06 02/01/2012 7:00 AM
bump
QuebecGirl 02/01/2012 9:36 AM
Interesting!

My husband went to the store and bought me an assortment of cake toys for Christmas, that cake marker was in the bunch, I have not used it yet.

LOVE this tip, especially the part where you mention using a COOKIE SHEET to lift the cake! How genious is that! And they can handle much more than just a 10" cake. Very cool.

Thanks for the tips, and thanks for bumping this tread up!

Nadine
pasteles de inglaterra 02/01/2012 11:29 AM
Great tips, thanks.

This is something I struggle with also.

Nadine-I'm from Dundas Ontario. I have been to Dorval, Quebec and the Rouge river. You live in a COLD province!!!
trybaking06 02/04/2012 8:47 AM
thanks Christina
gmoakes01 02/04/2012 9:26 AM
Great tips. P de I, if you look at Quebecgirls's profile, she actually lives in Arizona now - lots warmer!
cutedoggie 02/04/2012 3:42 PM
Cool idea!

What kind of little woof woof do you have??? I see the dog food in the background. My boy is a Westie like the dog on the label!
QuebecGirl 02/04/2012 5:14 PM
gmoakes01 is right, I moved to the USA 11 years ago for a job - got married to an American and stayed. While I enjoy the warmer climate, my heart is still in Quebec City. It is a cold place in the winter, but the people are warm

And yes, I do have a french canadian accent when I speak, I think it shows when I type too lol! ;-)
Rocknsoul 02/07/2012 9:28 PM
What an incredible tip. In approaching my first real attempt at torting and filling, I found that I had already spent too much money on decorating goodies, and decided not to buy a leveler (for some reason, though, the cake marker found its way into my order). I had watched a video on keeping the arm locked and using a turntable, and thought I could get by with it, though I had never been very good at even leveling a cake.

Then, by chance, I happened upon this forum, and found this thread. This idea seemed fantastic. So when the cakes (which would have been almost perfectly level, except that it turns out my oven is not, since the granite counter was installed) came out, I was able to level and torte them just about as perfectly as I could have imagined--and due to the uneven oven situation, the layers were thin. With this method, it was no problem.

Seriously, I'm still amazed by it.
whoknew? 02/08/2012 8:53 AM
Rocknsoul~~YAY! So glad it worked for you too.

Welcome to the forum!
cakediva wannabe 02/08/2012 2:15 PM
Christina, I also have the marker, but have not used it yet...it scared me...(LOL!) and I couldn't figure it out. So, do you use the tip to "score" the cake around the outside, or just poke holes in it and try to follow the holes? I'm confused on how to actually use it to "mark" the cake. Thanks for your help Christina!
sweetgrandma 02/08/2012 2:43 PM
I know this sounds really simple and I confess I haven't tried it b/c I rarely tort a cake, but couldn't you cut a piece of heavy paper the height you want to cut and place it around the cake to use as a guide?
whoknew? 02/08/2012 10:29 PM
sweetgrandma~~It took me a few minutes to figure out what you were talking about, then I finally got it. Yes, you could do that. It would be like using the lip of the pan to cut off the excess dome.