skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Is it ok to keep filled candy molds in the fridge overnight?
MissTracey 09/13/2011 10:29 PM
I have made some seashells using white Wilton candy melts and the normal plastic candy molds. It says on the instructions that come with the molds to remove from the fridge after 5 to 10 minutes once set. I am dusting them with luster dust but I'm too tired to paint them tonight. Is it ok to leave them in the molds in the fridge overnight and dust them tommorrow or will this affect the chocolate in any way?

Once I have dusted them should I keep them in the fridge or in a container on the countertop as these are for a fondant covered wedding cake (wedding is on Saturday). I was planning on attaching them to the cake on Friday evening.

Should I use royal icing to attach the seashells to the cake?

Thank you!

MissyLayton0608 09/14/2011 1:43 PM
I keep them in the fridge (or even freezer) all the time, they're fine! It's so hot here lately that leaving them on the counter for any time at all makes them a little soft, so when I remove anything from my candy molds I stick them straight back into the fridge, wrapped in plastic or waxed paper. If you're attaching molded candy to a cake, you could just attach it with a little dab of melted candy in the same color!
MissTracey 09/14/2011 2:03 PM
Thank you for your reply MissLayton. I did leave them in the fridge overnight but haven't had a chance to color them with luster dust yet. Looking at them they seem fine. Thanks for the tip about using melted candy to attach them onto the cake. I did think about melted candy melts initially but then wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. It would be easier your way as it saves me having to make up a batch of royal icing.

Thank you!