skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: "Pipe Tip 16 ZigZag Garland" What!? Help!
Created On Sunday July 31, 2011 8:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

iculkn86
Posted: Sunday July 31, 2011 8:19 PM
View users profile

I am attempting to make a variation of this cake: http://www.wilton.com/idea/Smiles-From-Head-to-Toe

In the instructions it says "Pipe tip 16 zigzag garland, 1 1/2 in deep." What does this mean? I don't know what tip 16 zigzag garland is supposed to look like, none the less how to make it 1 1/2 in deep.

I searched Google and came up with nothing. I searched wilton.com and came up with the 1971 yearbook. (That is before I was born!)

Does anyone know what this garland is supposed to look like, or how to actually do it? You guys have helped me in the past and I'm surreee you'll help me again! Thanks in advance!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday July 31, 2011 8:31 PM
View users profile

Don't fret, this is pretty easy. The 1 1/2" deep refers to the garland depth from top to the deepest part of the dip. On the cake you want, the garland is the "scoopy" parts on the sides that have the candies on them. You can use a garland marker or toothpick to mark the garland. Now, put a tip #16 on your pastry bag. Following the marks for your garland, and going up and down in a tight zig zag fashion, pipe the garland. Do you understand what I'm saying? I want to make this easy to comprehend but I'm not sure that I am being as clear as I could be. Holler if you need help, ok?

Report Violation

Bottom

beckthewreck
Posted: Sunday July 31, 2011 8:32 PM
View users profile

It means the garland on the side of the cake. You'll use a zigzag motion (you don't have to, it's just the design that they went for) as you pipe. The 1 1/2 inches part is talking about how far down the cake side (from the top) you will go when making each garland section. I would recommend taking a toothpick and sort of drawing the line in the side of the frosting so you know where to pipe your lines. The piped lines will be thick enough to cover any toothpick marks. Tip 16 refers to just that- a tip 16. It's a star piece. If you don't have it, an 18 or something star shaped would work as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

iculkn86
Posted: Sunday July 31, 2011 9:20 PM
View users profile

thanks to both of you for really dumming it down for me. I was thinking I had to stick the actual tip INTO the icing, haha, not how far down to go! ah! I do believe I was making it much more complicated in my head then it is. So all I need to do is zigzag the icing to get the effect? I think I can do that.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: