skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: What's the proper way to freeze a cake?
emmer_d 07/20/2011 9:10 AM
I heard something interesting last weekend from a fellow baker about freezing cakes. She freezes her cakes while they're still warm and says the condensation helps keep them moist. And she only wraps them in Press & Seal.

I've always frozen mine after they've sat out and cooled on a rack for a while.
I then wrap them with a layer of wax paper, a layer of Saran Wrap and then an outside layer of aluminum foil.

So what's the proper way to freeze a cake?

Thanks!
Emily
ladycatisadiva 07/20/2011 10:42 AM
There really is no proper way. Some people just sit them in the freezer on the cake board unwrapped. Tested and tried, it does work.....but you have to do it the best way for you. If your way works, don't change it. If you are interested in trying one of the other methods by all means do so, you might like it better than the way you are doing it now.
sweetgrandma 07/20/2011 2:48 PM
I notice on "Cake Boss" they freeze their layers unwrapped...just like I do. Sometimes I do freeze them while they're still a little warm but usually I wait just until they've cooled. I don't freeze them for more than a week.....
ginnyl 07/20/2011 4:46 PM
What works for me is to cool cake completly, wrap in either saran or press & seal and into freezer..on occasion I have popped it into the freezer unwrapped and it is just fine..
ginnyl~~~
Mbranko24 07/20/2011 6:13 PM
I freeze when still slightly warm and only with Saran Wrap/Cling Wrap as well. Works well for me (the few times I have frozen cakes)
cakes06 07/20/2011 6:17 PM
My cakes go into the freezer while still warm, double wrapped in plastic wrap.
whoknew? 07/20/2011 11:29 PM
I let them cool completely, then wrap in plastic, then again in aluminum foil. It's a personal preference. Try baking a couple of small cakes, freezing them when still warm, not warm, etc. and see what works best for you and your recipes.
cattitude 07/21/2011 12:43 AM
I let mine cool completely because I read that there could be ice crystals if you freeze them warm. I use one layer of Saran wrap because I bake the cake the earlier in the week that the cake is done. I guess I would use Saran and then foil if I was to bake much earlier that than, but I am afraid of freezer taste.
ladycatisadiva 07/21/2011 9:30 AM
See, there you have it. No 1 proper way. You have to try it to see what way you like it best, even it it works for you? I don't freeze. I don't like the extra wetness I get when I take them out to thaw!

My cakes are moist enough without freezing!