skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Advice on bake sale prices!
Created On Friday July 01, 2011 5:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

fondant_123
Posted: Friday July 01, 2011 5:19 PM

This is my first time doing a bake sale! I want to do a bake sale with my friends to raise money for breast cancer awarness. I would just like some advice on my prices for the items. If you have any other ideas or comments, I am open to your suggestions!

- Mini banana bread $ 1.75
- Loaf of banana bread $ 4.50
- Chocolate dipped pretzel rods drizzled with pink chocolate and/or sprinkles $ 0.50
- Chocolate dipped rice krispy treats drizzled with pink chocolate and/or sprinkles $ 1.00
- Vanillla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream topped with sprinkles (might do pink fondant ribbon) $ 1.00
- Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream topped with sprinkles $ 1.00
- Medium sized chocolate chip cookies $ 0.50
- 6 peanut butter cookies wrapped for $ 1.50

I also might do a few 8" cakes for around $8.00

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Friday July 01, 2011 6:56 PM

i think your prices are a little too cheap. i would charge;

mini loaf: $3.00
loaf: $5.00
pretzel: $1.00
crispies: okay
cupcakes: $1.50
chocolate chip cookies: $1.00
6pack: $3.00

Make sure you cover your cost first. This is what i figure would work in my area, i live in northern illinois

Report Violation

Bottom

fondant_123
Posted: Friday July 01, 2011 8:50 PM

Thank you so much! This will definitely help me! I was thinking even if the prices are too cheap or too expensive, I can change the price during the bake sale.

Is around $ 8.00 good for decorated cakes? I might do like carrot cake, red velvet etc

Report Violation

Bottom

creative_rb
Posted: Friday July 01, 2011 10:12 PM

My advice? Don't price them! Make it all by donation. I've done several bake sales that way, its simpler and profitable! Sure some people will be cheep but most won't! Some will give way more than they would if it was priced.

Report Violation

Bottom

momtobe
Posted: Friday July 01, 2011 11:04 PM

I'm in Westchester NY, at the school bake fair they had my very nice cupcakes-decorated with grass tip, marshmallow easter bunny and 3 jelly beans for the same 50 cents as a cupcake "with a schmeer" of canned frosting!! I thought at LEAST $1.00 for the cupcake. Also they had 3 cookies packaged for $1, which irritated me to no end, considering my cupcakes were "valued at .50 cents".

You need to charge what your market will bear. You are right, you can always lower the price.

How about making a "fancy cake" that they can buy a raffle to? I bet it will sell more raffles than you would have sold the cake for!

Just my thought.
Good Luck!
Pat

Report Violation

Bottom

fondant_123
Posted: Saturday July 02, 2011 8:30 AM

I never thought of that! Thats a cool idea

Report Violation

Bottom

fondant_123
Posted: Saturday July 02, 2011 8:36 AM

I like the idea of the fancy cake momtobe! My friends and I were thinking of donating the money to breast cancer research, so maybe i should to a pink decorated cake. How much would you sell the tickets for? Around $ 0.50?

Report Violation

Bottom

trybaking06
Posted: Saturday July 02, 2011 11:02 AM

that raffle idea sounds really good. You can get a lot of money for the charity.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday July 02, 2011 3:53 PM

I think it depends on your area. You could try asking more at first and if they don't sell reduce your prices.
Where I live cakes at bake sales don't go for much. I learned real quick not to put too much time and energy in the cakes I donate. When I saw a fancy cake that I'd worked hours and hours on sell for $5.00 I decided I wouldn't waste my time doing that again. I still donate cakes but they're quick mixes with a pretty border and a few bc roses on top.

Report Violation

Bottom

cq75
Posted: Saturday July 02, 2011 4:15 PM

I'd also suggest you go to a couple of grocery stores in your area and see what the prices are in the bakery department for comparisons. That way your prices are aligned with what people are accustomed to seeing when they do their regular shopping.

Good luck with your sale!

Report Violation

Bottom

fondant_123
Posted: Tuesday July 19, 2011 1:58 PM

thanks for the great suggestions ;)

Report Violation

Bottom

eden1103
Posted: Wednesday July 20, 2011 12:00 AM
View users profile

I second the idea of donation only. I've done quite a few bake sales for my husband's unit and I don't know if it was just the soldiers or not but we made out way better that way. Way more than if we had priced it. Just make sure you are in a good location...that will make ALL the difference either way.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: