skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Icing Stabilizer Question...
Created On Tuesday June 14, 2011 5:53 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Sh'ma
Posted: Tuesday June 14, 2011 5:53 PM

Bunnywoman...or anyone else who might know...If you add icing stabilizer to BW's mock shack BC will it alter the outcome of the icing in a bad way? Will it still crust for smoothing?

Any info would be appreciated.

BTW...is anyone else having trouble with this board being r-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-y s-l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w-w-w...right now? Or am I the only one? I'm having no trouble with other sites.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sh'ma
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 6:36 PM

I'd like to thank EVERYONE so much for at least ATTEMPTING to respond.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 6:40 PM
View users profile

An hour or so ago I was having trouble with the site.

I haven't used stabilizer in any icing so I cannot answer your question, sorry. I would hate to attempt an answer and have it be wrong. That wouldn't help you at all.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sh'ma
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 7:08 PM

Thanks, cakedujour.

I am just puzzled because I see many posts on here asking questions and even if most of the people don't know the answer...at least some of them go into the thread and try to give some advice and add a sentence or two stating what you did.

After 25 hours of NOTHING...I figured I must have said something wrong somewhere here to make no one want to say SOMETHING. If I have...I wish someone would tell me what it was.

Thank you again.

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 8:56 PM
View users profile

I don't recall ever seeing anything about an icing stabilizer here on the boards. Did you use the search function to check?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 9:03 PM

Someone did mention something about a product that they found that specifically stated on the packaging that it was an icing stabilizer. I have never seen such a thing before so this very well could be a new product out on the market.

What I can tell you is this....I have used a packet of dry powder Dream WHip in my icing to help stabilize it for the heat & humidity.

My question to you, Sh'ma would be what are you trying to achieve with a stabilizer? Are you attempting to set the colors? That can be obtained by using some meringue powder in your icing. The Dream Whip will help with the heat & humidity, but keep in mind that it is not 100% fool proof as no buttercream icing can withstand staying outside in 100*+ temps.

Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

Sh'ma
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 9:33 PM

Hi dottie.

Yes..but none of the info answers my crusting question.

One thing I DID find out about it though is that 'icing stabilizer' is better known as...TYLOSE POWDER...! And it is MUCH cheaper to buy is as 'icing stabilizer' than it is to buy it under the name 'tylose powder'. I bought an 8 oz. package of it as 'icing stabilizer' for $3.95. As tylose powder it's around $4 to $5 for 2 oz...!

You put them side by side and you can't tell the difference between them. I know that don't necessarily make it so...so I did some research on it and found out.

Here's one INDEPTH article I found on it...

http://class.fst.ohio-state.edu/fst621/Additive%20classes/cmctlk.pdf

Boy! The tricks some companies will go to to make extra money! LOL

Hi BW. I was wanting to use it for these attributes...

Helps speed drying of the icing.

Prevents cracking of the icing.

Prevents weeping in the icing.

Helps control moisture migration.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday June 17, 2011 12:18 PM

Ok I understand now what you are trying to attempt. Let me see if I can shed some light on the subject for you.....

Tylose powder is a stabilizer for fondant & gumpaste. Tylose powder is an additive for these in order to make it more stable, pliable, and helps aid in the drying time. When adding tylose powder to straight fondant you are esentially making a "mock gumpaste."

Now you are asking about adding tylose powder to buttercream.....correct? This is something I never do. Fondant is an icing covering for a cake just like buttercream is, but the two are two totally different mediums to use. What works for one might not work for the other and in this case I feel this is a correct statement. You stated you wanted to do the following:

Helps speed drying of the icing.
Drying of the icing is called crusting. Crusting is achieved by the ratio of fats to sugars. The higher the sugar content compared to the fats the more of a crust you will achieve. The heat & humidity of your environment will also play a huge factor in the crusting effect. The higher the temps and the higher the humidity the longer it will take for it to crust. All conditions must be just right for it to crust.

Prevents cracking of the icing.
Cracking comes from the icing being dry in texture. Adding a little more liquids and thinning down your icing helps greatly here. I ice my cake with a thin or a thin/medium consistency of icing. That is what works best for me. Plus adequate support underneath the cake is another factor. Using cake drums, plywood, masonite, or 1/2" foamcore boards are your best bet on heavy cakes. None of these will bend. Using just a cardboard underneath a heavy cake and the board will give way and bend. If it bends the cake's surface icing will crack and not look appealing.

Prevents weeping in the icing.
This can be caused by high heat & humidity. A temperature shock from taking it out of the frig into a hot room can also cause this. I normally call this "sweating."

Helps control moisture migration.
This can be controlled by adding a little bit more powdered sugar to your icing recipe OR adding a tablespoon or two of cornstarch. Both are thickening agents and are binders.

I hope this helps,
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

Sh'ma
Posted: Friday June 17, 2011 12:33 PM

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much bunnywoman! XXXOOOXXX

That really helped me decide NOT to use it for that. But one good thing DID come out of it for me. When I DO need to use tylose powder...now I know how to get it MUCH cheaper! Just buy it under the name...'icing stabilizer'.

Report Violation

Bottom

auzzi
Posted: Sunday June 19, 2011 4:03 AM

Vegetable gums can be used as "icing stabilizers" One of these these so-called gum stabilizers is offered by TIC Pretested® Icing Stabilizer [eg sodium carboxymethylcellulose (NaCMC) and gelatin].

Cellogen Powder, Tylopur, and Tylose are all brands of carboxyl-methyl-cellulose or CMC.

Gum Tragacanth, Gum Arabic, Xantham Gum, CMC are the most common gums. They are all thickeners and emulsifiers. Every gum has different properties and different strengths. The gums can act/react differently depending upon the recipe ingredients and what you want it to do: right down to your climate and working environment ..

BUT

Not all "icing stabilizers" consist of gums.

Most consist of starch, and there are plenty of icing recipes that include cornstarch as an ingredient.

A quick searh of the Internet:
Stabil-Creme Icing Stabilizer Ingredients: Modified corn starch, dextrose & polysorbate 60.

Stay-Ice Ingredients: sugar, non fat milk solids, wheat starch, salt, vegetable shorting, lecithin, polysorbate 60, egg sibumen, monostearate, and artificial flavor.

One "icing stabilizer" may contain CMC or gums, but all "icing stabilizers" do not ..

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Information < REFRESH >
Navigation: